Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: Cropped or Original?
Original 1 25.00%
Cropped 3 75.00%
You may not vote on this poll

#1    Top
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:45 AM
Elite VIP Member
Recent Photo: 06/14/09 Chase_6
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Crop?

I just finished editing this photo from my trip to White Sands, NM and I tried a tighter crop and I can't decide which one I like better. So please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks.

-Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web_uncropped.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	692.9 KB
ID:	94045  Click image for larger version

Name:	web_cropped.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	681.5 KB
ID:	94046  

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then what are the one's that render us speechless...

My Gear

http://www.bdjphoto.com
My Photo Blog
My Storm Chasing Blog
  #2    Top
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:52 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Crop?

I think both presentations are equally pleasing...though each has its own emphasis. For which one you should like more I would go with the one that matches your intent,

Was your intent the immediate foreground rippling or area just beyond the ripples as expressed by your crop?
  #3    Top
Old February 15th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I agree that both are well done. I'm partial to the crop as the original places the edge of the first dune almost smack in the center of the frame. In my opinion all the elements balance a little better here.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #4    Top
Old February 15th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Elite VIP Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
I think both presentations are equally pleasing...though each has its own emphasis. For which one you should like more I would go with the one that matches your intent,

Was your intent the immediate foreground rippling or area just beyond the ripples as expressed by your crop?
My idea when I captured it was to add emphasis on the rippling waves in the foreground, but after I edited it I tried a different crop and couldn't decide which one I liked better. Thank you for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
I agree that both are well done. I'm partial to the crop as the original places the edge of the first dune almost smack in the center of the frame. In my opinion all the elements balance a little better here.
Thank you for your input! I was drawn a little more to the crop myself. Though the original still kept my interest.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then what are the one's that render us speechless...

My Gear

My Photo Blog
My Storm Chasing Blog
  #5    Top
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Tough call for me as well. Both are equally amazing. I went with my initial reaction and chose the first, as I really like the ripples leading my eye to the background.
Visit me here..Room57
  #6    Top
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Easley Cabin 2017
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I go along with John, I like both but lean more heavily toward the crop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
  #7    Top
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:16 AM

Both are nice, but I think I slightly prefer the cropped version.
  #8    Top
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Elite VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Tough call for me as well. Both are equally amazing. I went with my initial reaction and chose the first, as I really like the ripples leading my eye to the background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywb View Post
I go along with John, I like both but lean more heavily toward the crop...
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2242 View Post
Both are nice, but I think I slightly prefer the cropped version.
Thanks Carl, Jerry, and Marc for your feedback. I'm glad y'all like the photo.

My Gear

My Photo Blog
My Storm Chasing Blog
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places