Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#31    Top
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: DSC_1886
Re: Seriously On the Decline...

Yeah, but so are most of us.
  #32    Top
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: DSC04769
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I find this so sad. We had so much fun over on Pop photo and we all came here to carry on. What happened ? Was it because we went from film to digital and we ran out of conversation and ideas ? We were all learning and giving advice and ideas and then it all became mundane. We used to joke and tease and give critques and have fun. What changed ? As I mentioned here on this site some time ago we would have 10/20 responses to a post, now nothing. I logged into this site several times this weekend and got "No new posts" every time. I will keep looking in but for how long. Only Clark, OrvSal, John, Spicoli and squirl033 seem to show up here regularly. I was surprised, but glad to see Lou check in today. Is there any chance of saving this forum?
  #33    Top
Old August 29th, 2017, 01:05 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

think at some point perhaps we reach a plateau of advice and such. Many of also focus our talents in specific areas. I shoot dogs and landscapes from and trails and occasionally wet my foot into event, sports, and street photography. But for my subject I am at a point when I know if I "nailed" it, and it I missed it.

Its not that I am looking for likes, or "great shot" comments only but many times I find that most critiques fail to account for shooting conditions. I would almost rather the, doesn't quite do it for me over the you should add HSS strobe flash to better light your subject...when the context of the shot does not allow flash photography.

Rocky has been shooting birds for quite a while now and of course airplanes as well. I don't think there is much advice I could give him to help him get better. I can only say yeah you nailed that one, or picking 1 image of the multiples that I like the best.

I have been trying to get participation in photo challenges for fun and skill building. September's Subject is Retirement. The Previous theme was "Our Best Friend". No must shoot this month rule, prizes, just and exercise of thought and practice. Yet participation is nearly non-existent. Perhaps its boredom, apathy or facebook or the latest in social media, forums all over seem to be dying (except for political ones which only seem to serve to piss people off).

I have always enjoyed looking at everyone's photos and your (all of you) past critiques have indeed helped me to grow, but I think there are even fewer new people signing up and registering so its just us old fogeys
  #34    Top
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: DSC_1886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod View Post
I find this so sad. We had so much fun over on Pop photo and we all came here to carry on. What happened ? Was it because we went from film to digital and we ran out of conversation and ideas ? We were all learning and giving advice and ideas and then it all became mundane. We used to joke and tease and give critques and have fun. What changed ? As I mentioned here on this site some time ago we would have 10/20 responses to a post, now nothing. I logged into this site several times this weekend and got "No new posts" every time. I will keep looking in but for how long. Only Clark, OrvSal, John, Spicoli and squirl033 seem to show up here regularly. I was surprised, but glad to see Lou check in today. Is there any chance of saving this forum?
Yeah, I miss the old days too Nod, but as years go by things change in peoples lives, and sometimes they get very busy, or ill, or lose some interest. Joe mentioned things like FB, and I think there's some truth to that. Younger photogs are all about that stuff. We did have a lot of fun in the POP days back when people could still be friends regardless of their politics, but that's another thing increasingly rare these days. In any event, as long as we all pop in here from time to time there's hope.
  #35    Top
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I agree with Pith, things are and have changed and the other forums I visit are all down in participation also. I just do not have time or a lot to keep sharing but try to encourage others when possible. I like that there are still a few doing that also. Have a great day folks.
  #36    Top
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:25 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

There is an old adage "The only thing to never change is change" and at 79 I find a lot of truth in that statement. The things I most enjoyed here were the photographic challenges "Premier Projects" etc. as one would get to see how others approach a subject/theme and interpret it and photographically sharing their vision. I have always felt this is a great learning tool giving all who participate different ways of seeing and approaching a subject/theme. Participation is the key element to make this simple learning tool work, unfortunately some people are reluctant to put their creative views on display out of fear of negative comments. Fortunately or unfortunately art is subjective and multiple points of view will always be freely expressed and viewers will be 180 degrees apart and overcoming and coping with viewpoints that one does not agree with enables growth. I did like the fact that in the Gallery one could comment on a posted photo and give feedback without blindly combing through the forum clicking on a link to see a photograph (Photo Sharing Corner) where one is not particularly looking for a break down critique. I do enjoy feed back on images and not opposed to hearing points of view or questions any place I've posted here.

Just my thoughts, Jerry
  #37    Top
Old September 3rd, 2017, 12:00 AM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by pith View Post
Yeah, I miss the old days too Nod, but as years go by things change in peoples lives, and sometimes they get very busy, or ill, or lose some interest. Joe mentioned things like FB, and I think there's some truth to that. Younger photogs are all about that stuff. We did have a lot of fun in the POP days back when people could still be friends regardless of their politics, but that's another thing increasingly rare these days. In any event, as long as we all pop in here from time to time there's hope.
Facebook has stolen a lot of the forum activity. I get requests to join various photo "groups" on there. Most last a few months and they too fade away.

I agree about the younger photographers too. I met a couple recently who were asking for advise on a few things. I mentioned to them about posting on the forum for more critique and they looked at me like I had 4 heads.
They told me to check out their instagram feeds.

I noticed all the other forums I used to be on have all faded away, and shut down, except for the Corner, and another one that is full of trolls and politics, religion and all that stuff that causes fights. We had a great forum here, but a coworker said to me one time...."A fish rots from the head down". Im not meaning to offend anyone, but in a way there is some truth to that. I just wish that was not happening here.
Visit me here..Room57
  #38    Top
Old September 3rd, 2017, 12:54 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Facebook has stolen a lot of the forum activity. I get requests to join various photo "groups" on there. Most last a few months and they too fade away.

."A fish rots from the head down". I'm not meaning to offend anyone, but in a way there is some truth to that. I just wish that was not happening here.
Amen...
  #39    Top
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

For me...I gave up.

I just checked and the last time I was on here before today was sometime in 2015. It seemed that no matter what it was always the same people winning the contests, and the same people posting minor variations of the same thing over and over again. I know we all do that to some degree, but for me it was getting excessive. Between that, job changes, and depression...I just stopped checking in.

As it is the only reason I'm here today is that I got a new job...again...which oddly is a return to one of my old seasonal jobs, and I have an excessive amount of time to kill which is what made me think of it.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #40    Top
Old September 6th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Hi, glad to see that you stopped by, With a lack of participation, the shots do get repetitive because we shoot what we love to shoot so the repetitive shots go along with that. The contests are no longer of any value. The few of us who are still posting when we can are just trying to keep the corner alive as long as we can.
Thanks for checking in
Orv
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner