Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:45 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Kodak Snaps to It & Getting Ahead After Digital Switch

Articles: Kodak Snaps to It & Kodak getting ahead after digital switch

Summary: Eastman Kodak gave investors an excuse to say "cheese" today when it reported earnings that implied its shift into digital photography just might be working like a charm. Kodak's first-quarter earnings came in at $28 million compared to $12 million last year. If you remove the effects of onetime charges for cost-cutting and other items, the earnings were $74 million. It's a nice change after some tough times. After all, Kodak is so well-known for those golden boxes containing those once-ubiquitous film canisters that littered your vacation luggage. Digital photography is the new revolution, where you have the ability to ditch dog shots (not to be confused with shots of cute dogs) and store, even email, the good memories (with any luck, chosen carefully so nobody looks fat) to friends and family. Sales of consumer digital cameras, accessories and memory products leaped 98 per cent, revenues from photo kiosks and related products surged 55 per cent, and sales of inkjet paper and printer docks jumped 42 per cent. Kodak has said it expects digital imaging to account for half of its profit and 60 per cent of sales by 2006, up from nearly 30 per cent now.

Question: Kodak, the talk of the photography town, is showing that it made the right move from film to digital. What are the implications on the industry? A lot of people questioned the move, but it is turning out to be a good move on the part of Eastman Kodak. Is this just a sign of things to come for the photography industry?
  #2    Top
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Interesting! Yes it does seem to be a sign of things to come. While I like both digital and film, it seems that more and more people are going digital.

I wonder how long it will be before film cameras aren't even made anymore.
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:37 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I think film cameras will always be around, though mainly for photography purests, I would imagine. I think it was a smart move by Kodak to go digital, as, unfortunately, the film industry is dying, and, while I'll think there will always be a demand for film, it won't be as profitable a digital is and can be.
  #4    Top
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Premiere Member
I think it's a good move on Kodak's part, and a good sign that they're succeeding, as well... it just shows the direction of the industry when an industry leader is doing well... I think it benefits the photography community in general, as more people will have access to equipment and digital photography related software and accessories. More people will be able to take more and better pictures.
  #5    Top
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:29 PM
There is going to be a big change I'm afraid with some of the film companies.
I don't think it's going to be good either.
Don't forget that the digital camera does not need film hence the 1hr lab is going to be affected film sales are going down considerably.
How many people do you think these labs employ and your friendly corner drug store film sales and processing.
I hate to be negative about this but this is my take on this whole thing.
Kodak made money now but for how long?
  #6    Top
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:40 PM
The Corner Creator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilford guy
Don't forget that the digital camera does not need film hence the 1hr lab is going to be affected film sales are going down considerably. How many people do you think these labs employ and your friendly corner drug store film sales and processing.
Well, a lot of labs like Blacks and Photolab, just to name a few, are making the switch to printing and producing prints from digital cameras... Having an actual copy, even from a digital shot, will still be as popular, if not more popular due to the fact more people are taking more pictures. Personally, I believe it will work the other way, and, as long as the labs offer such services as digital printing, they'll find that there business will grow, not shrink, because of digital photography.
  #7    Top
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM
You're right Tim, I never thought of the paper end of it, but what about Kodak's film sales aren't they the majority of there businness?
Of course I have no evidence or research on this but I was wondering about that.
  #8    Top
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:37 PM
The Corner Creator
Well, I assume film sales used to be a big part of it... but not anymore. As long as companies adjust, if anything, I think the industry as a whole will grow, not shrink... I'm sure there will be some companies that can't make the switch and will fall behind, but where one couldn't make it, there will be a bunch that will... look at all the companies that are popping up that do digital photography related services (just check a couple of the links and sponsor links off the main page to get an idea...)