Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:14 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Not to Everybodys' Taste, but . . . .

Yes, I shoot a lot of film, mostly large format. I also shoot a lot of digital, but black and white is all film. I've been working on a project . . . .. .

THE QUEST IS OVER! For years now, I have been trying to find an ultra-grainy replacement for Kodak Recording Film 2475. Today's films are all too good. Grainless and mostly boring. Well, the search is over. Using a half-frame SLR (the Olympus Pen FT), a Zuiko 50-90mm zoom and Ilford's Delta 3200 film developed in Rodinal at 1:25, I've discovered a replacement that not only gives that "1950's Magazine Look", it enhances certain glamour shots, like this one of my lovely cello student Katie Wiens. And the grain is sharp-edged and clear, not mushy like 2475. EUREKA!!!!!

To give you an idea of what old 2475 Recording film looked like, here is a shot of the side of a grain elevator in Saskatchewan I took a few years back, also with a Pen FT half frame. The grain is mushier and the edges softer. This surveillance film was popular in the 60s for it's grain effects. There is nothing like it now, save what I've "developed" above.

The necessity of using a partial negative or a sub-miniature formate is the only way to come close to the past in this regard. I realize this is definitely retro and not to everybody's taste, but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!!

Thanks for looking in!

y
  #2    Top
Old September 3rd, 2017, 03:57 PM
Senior VIP Member
Re: Not to Everybodys' Taste, but . . . .

I like these Gordo. Vwery well done.

Joshua 1:9
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes."
--Dewitt Jones
John 3:16
flickr
www.southpawphotos.com
  #3    Top
Old September 3rd, 2017, 05:02 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Grain adds texture and that is used masterfully in both shots Gord. That's though the real trick with shooting a high grain film, making the grain work for you.
  #4    Top
Old September 12th, 2017, 01:58 AM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thank you both very much!
  #5    Top
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

For me, the portrait would be better in a brighter, clear shot. The pose, the model, the setting all call for a less gritty look.

The second one seems more appropriate all the way around.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #6    Top
Old September 14th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Elite Member

Easy to do - as I mentioned above, I was on a mission to find something. But I'm not the type of person to waste a photo session with experimentation . . . . I did the usual digital color photos as well, during the shoot.

As I also stated in the original post, this grain stuff is most certainly not to everybody's taste, but there are great fashion and figure photographers, like Richard Avedon and Peter Gowland, who used the B&W grain thing to huge advantage.

Most photographers today are brought up on color and on digital imaging. Most of them dislike these grain effects in portrait and figure photography. I happen to like them, and think that they add a nostalgic character to the glamour perspective. It took me about 3 years to find a way of duplicating (or at least coming close to) old effects.

Here's one of the digital photos from this session. Pentax K-S1, 90mm Tamron Macro f2.8, 1/60th at f2.8, ISO 400

Thanks for looking in.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > People