Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 10th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Just one man's opinion

Frequently I read articles about new gear, new lenses, better this, better that and each year brings new more advanced bodies form both Canon and Nikon. Increased megapixel counts, expanded ISO, increased frame rates so the question is what should I buy.

Every newcomer asks what gear should I buy...even some old timers might ask the same question. I always give one answer.

What are you trying to shoot?

Certainly it is the person that defines the composition, arranges the elements and just about anyone can learn to read a light meter and set aperture and shutter speed. These are skills outside of the realm of equipment and if you struggle with these you need to lean them first and foremost. Take a class and use a basic simple manual camera and but the end you should have a good feel for those basic skills.

Now getting back to what should I buy. Some will say what is your budget, I still look at what your needs are over budget. Its a simple matter of identifying which tool(s) are best suited for the type of photography you wish to engage in. It does no one any good if the body and lenses you purchase to not allow you to capture those shots you wanted and purchased the camera for.....Indoor low light photography for instance...You need a camera that can perform nicely at high ISO's. It would be better to perhaps pinch pennies and save up for a camera body that offers better noise control, then to get the first cheap thing that comes along. Along that same lines is the upgrade question. If your gear is allowing you to capture the images you want, what is the need for the upgrade.

Certainly the larger full frame or more expensive APC camera will be able to serve every need. If they are truly out of budget you can look then at the compromises you are making..like frame rate, High ISO, etc... and make the choices you are willing to sacrifice to engage the photos you want to take, or hold out and save more depending on your needs.

I shoot a D4...Even looking at the specs for the new D5, I am not looking to sell off and get one. I have all that I need. In fact if I got a new body it would more likely be a D750 for my hiking as its the lightest of the 3 I like in the Nikon Line (D5,D810, and D750) What do I really need with 36mp...24 will be more than enough especially considering the weight factor for my hiking.

Lenses Yeah I have some nice prime lenses and I use them for sporting events. I also have some great wide lenses that I originally bought for landscape work. Unless I am using special filters (this is rarer these days) I don't really use them much any more for landscape work. I use a 28-300 FX lens as it proves full wide to getting in close for wildlife shots. It is a compromise but that one lens is lighter than carrying multiple lenses and certainly less bulky. It also gets the job done to my satisfaction which is ultimately the most important factor.

My advice with looking to buy is do your research. Examine yourself and the type(s) of photography which you wish to engage in and purchase the right tools for the job. In the long run you will end up much happier, even if it means delaying a purchase fo a year or so to save up the necessary money.
  #2    Top
Old January 10th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Just one man's opinion

Some excellent opinions here bro! Thanks for sharing.
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old January 11th, 2016, 10:40 AM

Very good advice. I made the mistake of not researching before buying and went and bought lenses that came with a discount with my D5300. One is the kit lens and the other is 55-300mm f4.5-5.6. Though it was cheaper that that time, now I feel I should have done my research and instead of buying that i should have saved to buy 24-70mm f2.8.
  #4    Top
Old January 11th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

good advice, Clark! too many people rush out and buy a new camera because they think it'll make their photos better, and in some ways it might, but the most important factor is knowing how to use and get the most from your equipment. knowing what you want to shoot is critical. the requirements for shooting sports outdoors are totally different from those for shooting portraits in a studio; you'll need much different lenses for landscapes than you would for wildlife. know what you want to do first, and then get the equipment that will let you do those things.

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101