Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Urban Scenes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Style!

As usual love to hear what u guess think of this picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Style P.c.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	635.5 KB
ID:	88270  
  #2    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Style!

I have to admit that this photo doesn't speak to me. I'm not sure what story you might be trying to tell us. If it's to do with the hat, it night have been idea to show us the rest of the lady to see, if there was maybe a great contrast between her big, floppy hat and the rest of her clothing. Or to show, why she might be walking around near the harbour. Just my opinion, though.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #3    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I'm gonna go along with Sabine, not enough in the image to hold ones interest. Also don't care for the edges much. The image does have great color and the subject is nice and sharp.
Bill H.
  #4    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I also agree with Sabine and Bill. You need to straighten the horizon.
On the positive side, good use of shallow DOF to blend the background.

My Flickr

Save A Dolphin
  #5    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I kinda like the big hat hiding her face, but the centered composition and vignette do nothing for the image.
  #6    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:18 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

There's a lot going on with this photo that I like but several things that I believe are holding it back. First and foremost is the centering of you main subject makes the image feel much too static. There's a lot of background material that doesn't really add to the subject. Either a tighter shot of her or really set her into the right side of the photo...better yet, a vertical crop. The vignetting is a bit heavy handed IMO. Subtle vignetting draws the eye to the center, but when it gets too noticeable, it begins to feel more like a frame.
  #7    Top
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks all for your comments! When I sow her walking without looking around and almost hiding under her big hat, I feel she is so lonely, and the same time the hat give her style almost hid her loneliness from out side! That was what I think but I guess I didn’t put it while on picture
  #8    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
Elite Member

Personally for me I find the Vignette is a little too much.
  #9    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Elite Member

For a single person this close you should have taken this in the portrait position, ie. vertical. It would have eliminated the need of the overdone vignetting. Instead she would have been isolated by using a smaller DOF. When you do use vignetting it should start off from inside the photo very light and gradually darken. But not this dark. When done on a landscape only vignette the corners of the sky, if at all.