Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: How many people calibrate their monitor?
I calibrate my monitor with a Spyder, Monaco, Greg-McBeth, or other hardware device 3 8.82%
I calibrate my monitor using Adobe Gamma software 10 29.41%
I calibrate my monitor with some other software 3 8.82%
I don't bother calibrating my monitor, it's good enough for me 7 20.59%
What's calibration? 11 32.35%
You may not vote on this poll

#1    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
How many people calibrate their monitors?

Just curious how many people calibrate their monitor.

I calibrate mine every 2 weeks using a Color Vision Spyder
  #2    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Premiere Member
It looks like 40% of us do not know what you are talking about.
  #3    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Junior VIP Member
Not yet. From your experience, where does the largest drop-off occur? (ie, which color band needs the fine tuning the most often)
http://www.west1photo.zoomshare.com
http://www.thelondoner.ca
  #4    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I haven't calibrated my monitor, but I've been starting to look into it.
  #5    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:10 PM
By His Grace
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J
It looks like 40% of us do not know what you are talking about.
That's not all that uncommon that people don't know what I'm talking about...sometimes even I don't...roflol

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...calibrate.mspx explains hardware calibration

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques...e.cfm?recid=12 explains Adobe Gamma calibration
  #6    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:11 PM
By His Grace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Not yet. From your experience, where does the largest drop-off occur? (ie, which color band needs the fine tuning the most often)
Every monitor is different.
  #7    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Ok, I just went through the Adobe Gamma wizard and it seems like you could easily be way off when you use it.
  #8    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:27 PM
By His Grace
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyredwizard
Ok, I just went through the Adobe Gamma wizard and it seems like you could easily be way off when you use it.
exactly
  #9    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Junior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
It's one of these black art, sound a looks incredibly complex but once you start looking into it you can immediately see the benefits, I know I have.

Like Carl said every monitor is different, and to check the calibration every two weeks an automated system would be worth investing in.
  #10    Top
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
By His Grace
If all you do is view images, color monitor calibration is probably not as critical, but if you print your own digital pictures, calibrating your monitor is the first step to accurate color management. Without a calibrated monitor, you will have a very difficult time matching your monitor output to your printer output. Even if you have a lab do your printing after you do any editing, you will get better results by having a standard from which to view your photos. Tweaking your color monitors brightness, gamma, and color saturation may please your eye, but it probably isn't color or gamma correct.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101