Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:35 PM
Spruce Grouse background & DOF?

Spruce Grouse - Lubec, ME

Spruce Grouse background & DOF - I still have not learned how to precisely do the DOF stuff yet, during the actual process of taking a picture with my camera - this while taking the Pictures - Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

I use various back ground manipulations. I do know that there are some functions in post processing applications to blur the background. Other effects on image of the bird include selecting the bird create contrast. I then select the inverse of the picture at which point dull or mute the background. Cropping out background and replacing it with a solid colored background.

Spruce Grouse with background cropped out. This is supposed to represent a narrow DOF [Depth of Field]. Does it work??? My images of the spruce grouse include the original, muted background & background replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-21_22-29-21.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	94004  Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-21_22-25-20.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	94005  Click image for larger version

Name:	SPGR bkgr#2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	779.0 KB
ID:	94006  Click image for larger version

Name:	SPGR bkgr.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	770.1 KB
ID:	94007  
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old October 31st, 2016, 09:06 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Spruce Grouse background & DOF?

Very Nice...for some reason I was thinking of a very large airplane..
  #3    Top
Old November 2nd, 2016, 09:35 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Spruce Grouse background & DOF?

I like the idea of leaving the background in. It shows habitat and tells a little about the bird.
I'm not against dulling down the background to accentuate the bird.
It looks like you tried to add background top and bottom to accommodate the vertical crop, but it looks rather sloppy. With such a busy background, it is very difficult to make any added background blend in.
This almost looks like you cut and pasted. I would stick with what you have in the original. Crop if you want to, but don't try to add more background.
The ones where you got rid of the background are not very well done. Both show very hard edges around the subject that make it look like it was cut out.
The colors of the replaced background do not mesh well with the kind of light that was in the original picture.
I would reserve that type of background cutout for studio work.
IMO, nature photography works best with only the manipulations that are absolutely necessary, like exposure, color balance, contrast, etc.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin

Last edited by mrchile; November 2nd, 2016 at 09:43 AM.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals