Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Recent Photo: Two Ladies
The science behind photographing flowers in waterdrops

Hi everyone. I have been here such a long time ago, I don't even know if I know anyone on the site any more. I haven't done much camera-wise for the last two years because of shoulder problems, but here I am, nevertheless, for a related question that I just know someone here will be able to answer.

I'm looking for someone who can explain the science behind these flowers in the water drops. I don't want to know how to take them. What happens scientifically for us (or the camera) to be able to see it like that.

It's about an art project and whether it would be possible to have a similar effect with a blown glass bubble - with projecting a big object onto the glass in order to see a similar image than we have here.

I hope this makes sense, and above all, that someone can help.

Thanks ever so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flowers in Waterdrops.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	94060  
  #2    Top
Old April 12th, 2017, 06:22 AM
Re: The science behind photographing flowers in waterdrops

I am sharing two links here about this, hope you will find it helpful -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevewall/1095860966
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K5_...0#action=share
  #3    Top
Old April 12th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

You will not be able to achieve this effect with blown glass bubbles, unless you can fill them with water. The drops are solid, like a glass lens, and so act as a lens. Hollow bubbles will not do that. But if you can fill them with water, they should have a similar effect as solid drops of water.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #4    Top
Old April 13th, 2017, 12:52 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Recent Photo: Two Ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
You will not be able to achieve this effect with blown glass bubbles, unless you can fill them with water. The drops are solid, like a glass lens, and so act as a lens. Hollow bubbles will not do that. But if you can fill them with water, they should have a similar effect as solid drops of water.

Thank you!! I'm sending you a lucky star. Not sure how I'm going to fill them with water, but it's somewhere to start.