Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Half Dome rework

After a comment from Russ I took another look and found that perhaps might WB balance was a little warm on most of the yosemite shots. After a little re-work I wnat to get some opions if these look better than the originals.

New look

Original

New Look

Original

#2    Top
Old July 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Half Dome rework

Well... In the first pair the difference in white balance is pretty subtle, but I think it did make a slight improvement to shift the balance slightly toward the cool side. In the second pair (panorama) the shift in white balance is more pronounced and I believe that the "cooler" image is the better rendition again. Note that I liked these images in their original presentation, too. Without seeing two different versions to compare, I doubt that I would have thought of altering the white balance on these.

Thanks for sharing,
Richard
  #3    Top
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

I don't know if I would have thought something needed to be changed (improved) before seeing the second version, but the 2nd is definitely better, especially in the 2nd shot.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #4    Top
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Senior VIP Member

I agree, the shift in white balance improved both shots. A little more subtle, in the first one, more so in the second.

Joshua 1:9
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes."
--Dewitt Jones
John 3:16
flickr
www.southpaw-photography.com
  #5    Top
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

My vote goes for the improved version as well
Bill H.
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Count me in - new versions are better (not that the originals are anything to scoff at!)
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes