Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:19 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
camera for 8-yr-old

I'm looking for some input on a camera for my 8-yr-old granddaughter. She is showing interested in photography, and I'd like to encourage that.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I want something decent. Maybe something that is shock-proof to so many feet, something that doesn't have too much of a shutter lag. The resolution doesn't have to be amazing, but I want it to be something that she can use for just messing around, as well as try things, when she wants grandma to explain something.

I'm asking, because there are so many on the market, and I'm confused. It's obviously going to be a point and shoot, as she would lose interest if she had to carry a heavy thing around all the time.

Thanks.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #2    Top
Old December 5th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: camera for 8-yr-old

I would suggest something water proof. It would add a capability otherwise missed and they are usually the most shockproof cameras available.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old December 6th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

that should be pretty easy, I would just google PAS cameras and see what's available in your price range, stick with a major brand ( Canon, Nikon, etc ) and pull the trigger,, there are a lot of decent cameras now days at a decent price, many have reviews available too,, of course I'm partial to Canon and they make several PAS cameras reasonably priced,, good luck and I also encourage the effort, no need to spend a LOT of money especially if she's only 8, what ever you get her I'm sure she will love
  #4    Top
Old December 6th, 2015, 10:22 PM
The One and Only
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks for the input. I quite like the look of the NIKON COOLPIX S33. Read it's quite a good camera for kids, as it's easy to use. A good start anyway.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #5    Top
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Looks like a good pick to me Sabine. It should be able to take whatever an 8 year old can dish out without breaking the bank.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #6    Top
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:08 PM
The One and Only

Would be nice to finally have a photography buddy. LOL Well, I can hope!

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment