Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
How-to: Shooting the Blooms

Flowers shots are fun. There can be lots of color, lots of textures, lots of interesting shapes, and lots of opportunities. Many times we (myself included) get bad shots but we don't see it since not every photo pops right out of the camera and we have nothing to compare it to.

Background: Things that help get better photos include having a sharp lens, a steady hand (or tripod), and a flash. Most people are either stuck with the lens they have (point and shoot) or they already have a reasonably sharp lens for their camera. You should have a calibrated monitor for photo-processing. I have not done that yet (it's coming soon). I also recommend changing the lights in the room. I replaced all of the halogens in my basement with 5500 Kelvin fluorescent lights. There's a lot less heat, and after a few minutes the light is nice and white (my halogens had a deep yellow cast).

I find making good floral images usually requires a flash, especially outdoors. Also, most of my shooting is with the camera in manual mode. I use a 580EX flash with E-TTL. In manual mode on the 580EX acts as a fill flash, and most light in the image will be ambient. This differs from aperture priority which assumes that the flash will be the main source of light. I like fill light in manual because I can obtain a nice, colorful background and yet accentuate the main part of the image without blowing out the colors.

So, I start playing with several positions. I am used to crawling on the ground, laying on my back, or doing whatever it takes to get the camera in the right position. Heck, sometimes I will not even use the viewfinder and just aim the camera where I think it's good, shoot, chimp, play with the settings (aperture, shutter speed, and focal length), and then re-shoot again. I can get some pretty neat shots that way. And I delete all the odd shots.

So I started with this one today. I shot various angles and picked this one for this lesson.

Some might say "Wow - nice shot!!". However, I am my own worst critic. I look at this and say it's o.k., but needs a lot of work. Work in this case is mostly Lightroom. As you can see this was shot at 1/250sec., f/10, 33mm, ISO200 I wanted to keep the flowers reasonably sharp as I was quite close to the subject. Opening up to f/4 (widest for the lens I was using) was not desired as all the background flowers would have been out of focus and I did not want that.

The first things I noticed in this image were:
a) the composition is not want I want and
b) the petals are very, very flat and not at all white.

First thing I did was rotate it. That looks neat. There's nothing in the image that has to be landscape, and I think that portrait mode makes this more interesting.

Next - white balance. Click that eye dropper on the upper right on Lightroom. Find an area on the image that should be a neutral grey (not something you want to change to grey). In this case I clicked on a small area on the left edge (see the red dot). I did not select the petals. I want them white - not grey. After clicking notice the instant change to the petal's tone.

Next, in this I bumped the exposure up a 14/2 to 3/4 stop. Why? Light metering system a white subject will cause the image to underexpose by 1/2 to 1 stop or more. That is why when shooting snow you need actually need to increase the exposure by a stop or more or it comes out grey (sounds counter-intuitive, but that's the way it is). I could have made the adjustment in the camera before I shot, but I wanted to show it to you in the images.

Notice the petals are starting to shine. Next, I used Lightroom's Dark, Shadow, Light, and Highlight settings to increase the contrast. I am oftentimes very drastic with shadows. Notice the difference in the histogram, too.

Now I crop, boost the reds and oranges to make the centers really stand out (not absolutely necessary here, but I wanted to share with you all what can be done), and then purged the small bug on the petal in the foreground's flower (using Lightroom's healing tool). I also played with the yellows and greens to make the flowers stand out fom the background a bit more.

At this point I will sometimes go into Photoshop and do/use the the following:
a) resizing to the desired pixel dimensions;
b) Noise Ninja to remove noise and clean up the image some;
c) the burning tool to enhance the shadows on the petals, especially on the edges.
d) a curve layer if I still want to tweak it a bit more.

The end result is here. I hope this helps.
  #2    Top
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: untitled-41
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Thanks for the lesson David The results were definitely worth the effort. Beautiful shot.

Canon 60D

"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just convincing you that I'm right"
  #3    Top
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Walter's Gate
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Beatiful flower and thanks for the tutorial nice to see the step by step...thanks for sharing...Laurie
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixsee View Post
Thanks for the lesson David The results were definitely worth the effort. Beautiful shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaluG View Post
Beatiful flower and thanks for the tutorial nice to see the step by step...thanks for sharing...Laurie
Glad you all found this useful. Hopefully others will too.
  #5    Top
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
That was a very interesting lesson you shared with us...the end result was a tremendous difference from the original photo..very well done.
  #6    Top
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Premiere Member
Hopefully others will be helped, too. Thanks for looking and commenting.
  #7    Top
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Excellent and very helpful post, David. You should submit this to Tim for the tutorial section.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #8    Top
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Mario View Post
Excellent and very helpful post, David. You should submit this to Tim for the tutorial section.
Thanks for the comments and suggestion, Mario.

It's online in the tutorials section: http://www.photographycorner.com/tut...ing-the-blooms

Last edited by Erik Bernskiold; April 21st, 2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Added link to tutorials section.
  #9    Top
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Dark-Eyed Junco
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
This was very informative, thanks for posting.

Jerry
  #10    Top
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywb View Post
This was very informative, thanks for posting.
Jerry
You are quite welcome. Glad it was helpful.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things