Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 9th, 2015, 02:10 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Permits in Parks

Here is why film makers and photographers are being tasked with getting permits.

http://www.10news.com/news/punji-sti...ilming-a-movie

In case it was filming but using a prop of a punji stick which had been careless left in place by the film crew. This could have resulted in injury to a person or someone's pet. This trail is a very popular trail for dog walkers myself included.

Thank goodness it was only a movie prop and that no one was hurt by the oversight.

Remember if you are using models or modifying the environment (like inserting punji sticks in the ground) you need a permit from the national/state or regional park) you need a permit. If you are using flash stands and modified light (excepting on_board or attached flash units) you need a permit.

Using a tripod does not require a permit, though it may be restricted or prohibited. (In the crystal cave in Sequoia Nat park tripods and flash were prohibited in the caves...They (rangers) almost made me remove my cotton carrier.
  #2    Top
Old October 9th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: Permits in Parks

Im not a pro, far from it, and every photo for me is a learning experience. Was at a local park that has some cool monuments and all. Since it was windy, I wanted to experiment with slow shutter and the monuments. See what effect I could get with the leaves and trees blowing around.
I was approached by a security guard who asked if I had a permit. I was like....buddy...Im shooting trees and monuments.
His reply was that I was using a tripod, and required a fee. When I looked around the park over my shoulder, there was not a soul around except me and Chuck the security guard.
I told him I was a hack and came to the park to practice on a nice quiet Sunday. He gave e a verbal "warning'.
Visit me here..Room57

Last edited by Spicoli; October 9th, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
  #3    Top
Old October 9th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

At least in the US a tripod should not be a problem unless specifically stated.
  #4    Top
Old October 9th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

There are 2 situations here: Clark's description entails a movie crew(?) filming with what appears to out of compliance with regulations.....but that's what's going around nowadays, i.e. "it ain't a crime if you don't get caught". Commendable enough that Paul took ownership and apologized, but that's after the fact. Make an example of him and the crew. THAT message will be conveyed.

The polar opposite is Carl's rent-a-cop situation. It may be correct that local conditions (state/province, country, town, or private property) do require a permit...but doubtful. As rules first evolved re photography in parks and other public places, lots of ambiguities prevailed. Some have been refined and staff given better clarification. I carry around a summary copy of rules in a ziplock bag in my camera bag. I don't get confrontational about it, just offer it as evidence that I'm at least attempting to be a compliant, conscientious law abiding citizen/photographer.
  #5    Top
Old October 9th, 2015, 01:19 PM

Each city/state can have their own "rules" or "laws" when it comes to the permit process. On top of that, certain agencies within the city/state can also have their own permits.

The internet is full of "photographer rights" and while more often than not, this can be a good thing, it is not a one size fits all.

Cities and States also have their own definition on what a "film crew" consist of. When using models, props, tripods, monopods, flashes, and all sorts of things can be claimed as a film crew. The number of people involved can also influence that decision.

Almost 100% of the time when a photographer is approached by security or law enforcement it is because they were either called or saw something that isn't the norm. This does not mean that you are doing anything wrong, these people are simply doing their job or what they feel is their job.

Things usually go wrong when the photographer escalates the situation.

Rarely will a photographer educate the cop or security officer on the various laws, codes, or whatever else. More than likely the photographer will simply **** off that person and cause an escalation.

Now if you are getting a once in a lifetime shot that will pay you enough to retire and live the good life, fight like you mean it.

If it is not a once in a lifetime shot, why fight with that individual over something stupid that isn't going to change. Take your argument to the people who are in charge. This will solve the issue. You go to the whoever is in charge of that location or speak to the boss at the police station, etc.

I understand that there are plenty of people who will love to simply argue, and if that is what you like to do, remember one thing. You better be 100% sure that there is no city/county/state or federal rule/code or law for that location. Lawyers charge the same rate whether you are innocent or guilty.

Btw, almost every single jurisdiction in the United States have laws about obeying a police officer, so keep that in mind also.

With all that said, even if you are 100% wrong, you do not have to surrender your camera or show the images to anyone.

Personally if they ask, I'll show all the images because I have nothing to hide, but if they demand, now we get the lawyers involved.

Website | Gear
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner