Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Up Close and Personal

Shot this one with the D80 and the 180mm Tamron lens at ISO800 as I didn't want to use the flash on this.

Jerry

Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Up Close and Personal

now thats IN YOUR FACE what a LOW vantage point too ,, I havent done much macro work as of late either due to the extreme summer heat,, I should get out there before its to late nice work Jerry !!
  #3    Top
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Dude! Sure glad it wasn't a spider!

Haven't seen much from you lately, I hope that you are well.

This image is AWESOME! Very sharp and very UP CLOSE and PERSONAL. Great job!

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #4    Top
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I love the sharpness of the shot....What is it???
  #5    Top
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

What a terrific shot!!!!
Did you need to use extension tubes for that one, too?
  #6    Top
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thanks all for the kind comments. Marty this is a cicada, not the ones that come out every seven years but the ones that are out yearly making much noise with their mating calls. Nancy I have never used extension tubes and actually very few of my macro shots are even 1:1. I would rather keep a little distance shooting at 1:1.15 or 1:1.2 thereby getting greater DOF. Sharna I have been doing very well but also very little. I don't frequent the board nearly as often as I used to and was even thinking maybe I shouldn't post this shot since I have not been active in commenting on others' shots. Jim, you're having a lot of heat in Florida? That's unusual My enthusiasm in macro has dwindled only because I've got shots of about every kind of insect and spider in our area. I can't get motivated to lug my heavy gear putting up with the heat, mosquitoes, weeds and stickers only to come home empty handed because I've seen nothing new except on rare occasions. This particular cicada was right out my back door in a crack in the concrete looking almost straight up. At first I thought he was dead but when I touched him he lethargically moved his legs so I used the tripod on this one.

Jerry
  #7    Top
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Jerry, I think you could have gotten a little closer, there appears to be some dead space under his chin!!

I do hear where you are coming from with regards to the macros. You certainly have to be in the "mood" to do them right. This summer really has a different feel about it. Can't put my finger on it but it may be the excessive heat that really has everyone on cruise control.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #8    Top
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Senior VIP Member

John,

We haven't had excessive heat but have had excessive rain and with it excessive mosquitoes. I know Deep Woods Off is an excellent product that keeps them from biting but they still keep buzzing and buzzing around the head which is irritating. I wanted to get a little closer to the cicada but when he started getting angry and baring his teeth I backed away. Sorry for the dead space.

Jerry
  #9    Top
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriepe View Post
John,

I wanted to get a little closer to the cicada but when he started getting angry and baring his teeth I backed away. Sorry for the dead space.

Jerry
Jerry I heard if you make silly faces and sounds at them they will relax and smile back at you.........

or maybe that's children???

I forget now. Disregard !!

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #10    Top
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I can't help but think that your cicada has what appears to be the front grill of an older car I can't quite put my finger on (late 30's, early 40's Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth?).
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things