Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:59 PM
What is your favorite camera brand and why?

Hi there,

I just wanted to know what your favorite brand of camera's are? and why? Any help is greatly appreciated..Thanks in Advance..
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old February 3rd, 2015, 07:22 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: What is your favorite camera brand and why?

I think you can just look at the canon vs nikon thread and get the answer to that
  #3    Top
Old February 3rd, 2015, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the input..
  #4    Top
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I think what Clark was saying is this subject has been discussed many times here and there's several varying opinions, rather then start the conversation all over again he directed you to a previous thread,
I will say that for me I've had several brands from Nikon, Yashica, Pentax and now I am and have been a Canon shooter for about 10 years, my personal Comfort is with Canon, the initial reason I chose canon was because of the different and abundance of lens', which at the time was greater then that of Nikon, I have grown comfortable with the menu and layout of Canon and it just works for me personally, if you are in the market its highly recommended that you pick up a few different cameras and just see what feels right in your hands, any current brand of camera will suit your needs and produce very sufficient images for you so its more about what feels right to you both ergonomicly as well as how you feel about the menus and so forth, good luck in you quest
  #5    Top
Old July 4th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I've been a Canon user for many years. My parents bought me my first one when i was a teenager and have been using Canon ever since. Very satisfied with their product.
  #6    Top
Old October 10th, 2015, 06:55 AM

Canon. Quality of the photos are very good but the quality of the cameras themselves not good. I mean the body of the camera is not durable. Mostly they are made of plastic type of material. I have Powershot A75, but the battery door and the Compact Flash card door can break any moment
  #7    Top
Old October 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM

Nicely revived thread, so I'll throw my 2cents in..

While I have shot Nikon for decades now, my favorite is my Mamiya 645DF with the Credo 80 back. It is far and away the best system I've ever used.

Until you've shot medium format you'll never know how much you've been missing. It is like someone going from taking pictures with their phone to a dslr, that is how much of difference it is once you go medium.

Now it is not an every day camera by any stretch of the imagination. The frame rate is low, the usable iso range is small, and it might be considered a tad expensive for some. For my work photos, this is my go to, and I've never been happier.

Website | Gear
  #8    Top
Old October 13th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Interesting. The 6th and 7th posts speak to the complexity of attempting to answer what sounds like a simple, straight forward question, ie which is best. One is using fundamentally a point & shoot, which definitely has its place (if understood), and the other is analogous to a Ferrari. Medium format does provide some clear advantages but, in the ever present reality of compromises, certainly isn't best for everyone or even the majority.....IMHO.

If the question were rephrased to ask what DSLR was best, I'd advise to consider not just a camera body or body & lens but rather the FAMILY (ie brand) of products. There are things that each brand excels at. If those specialties are and will be the most critical to you, then THAT's where you should go. Many photographers develop a style and interest area(s) over time....tough to figure out beforehand. Thus I'd tend to recommend the 2 who generally have excellent products and address the widest range of situational equipment, ie lenses and accessories (branded and 3rd party).....Canon and Nikon, although Sony (in part formerly Minolta) seems to be making headway. Consider that you're investing in a FAMILY of equipment, compatible with one brand and not others. Many may already have forgotten that in the early days (10+ years ago) of digital, the film camera powerhouse Nikon was considered perilously close to being a non factor in the digital evolution. I've always owned Canon. Barring any huge shift in technology, I have too much invested in existing equipment to realistically consider a system change for marginal differences here and there in the whole array of equipment or features. Canon clearly reigns supreme in certain areas, foremost amongst which includes 35mm tilt/shift lenses.....but those aren't for everyone.
  #9    Top
Old October 13th, 2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
If the question were rephrased to ask what DSLR was best, I'd advise to consider not just a camera body or body & lens but rather the FAMILY (ie brand) of products.
That I completely agree with. After time, we (photographers) are so invested in one system that switching would be difficult to say the least.

I stick with Nikon because of my heavy investment in glass and assorted accessories that go with that brand.

Would I call the D3 the best? It is for me, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best choice for anyone else.

I've chosen to skip the D4 (mostly because I shoot medium format most often) partially because my current bodies (D3) serve the purpose very well when needed.

Most conversations that begin with "what is best" often boils down to "what you use". All the hard and heavy debates fall into this.

Many years ago I learned that a camera (and all it's gear) are simply tools to be used by the photographer. None is directly more important than any other. In the right hands, under the right circumstances, any camera can capture a great image. On the other side, the best equipment in the wrong hands will capture lousy images.

Now, at the point where any camera manufacturer wants to pay me to be their spokesman, they will become the best camera ever made

Website | Gear
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment