Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 9th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
One last Leque Island owl...

The location where this was taken will be undergoing major changes this year and next, and it's questionable whether the owls will return next winter. The state department of fish and wildlife, which manages the site, has elected to breach the levees that keep this meadow relatively dry, and allow it to return to a tidal salt marsh. The levees were built in the 1930s and have been leaking and slowly failing for the last 10 years or so, and the state has apparently decided it's cheaper to breach them and let the meadow flood than to repair the levees and preserve this habitat. The local tribes have supported the idea, claiming the change will help local salmon (the "salmon card" trumps everything else, it seems), though I don't know of any salmon species that lives or spawns in salt marshes... In any case, the state plans to bring in heavy equipment this summer to dig some "tidal channels"; in the process, the habitat for the meadow voles which the owls feed on will be severely damaged or destroyed. As a result, the owls may only return in limited numbers next winter, or they may not bother at all. The summer after this one - 2018 - the WDFW will breach the levees, and the entire area will be flooded at high tide, exposing only mud flats and salt water vegetation at low tide. Safe bet the owls will not return at all after that. With those changes in mind, here's one last portrait of one of the Leque Island short-eared owls...

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #2    Top
Old March 9th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: My best friend Becky
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: One last Leque Island owl...

I'm sorry to hear about all these changes, I have the feeling that the owls might not return as you said, I really hope we are both wrong
I love owls, they look so elegant, strong and magical and this portrait is just stunning!
I love everything about it, the composition, the light and the pose.
Well capture!
  #3    Top
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:09 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: One last Leque Island owl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericaS View Post
I'm sorry to hear about all these changes, I have the feeling that the owls might not return as you said, I really hope we are both wrong
I love owls, they look so elegant, strong and magical and this portrait is just stunning!
I love everything about it, the composition, the light and the pose.
Well capture!
Thank you, Federica!

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals