Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Cap'n Flash
Blackbird

I was fooling around in my backyard Sunday afternoon with my 100-400mm and a 2x tc. I recently installed a firmware upgrade for my Mark II that has noticibly improved my camera's output quality, and I wanted to see if it would carry over to this extender, which many photographers shun because of its generally soft results. I took about 30 pics and I think maybe two are keepers. This is one I like.

#2    Top
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Did you use a tripod or handheld?

"The photograph is completely abstracted from life, yet it looks like life. That is what has always excited me about photography."
Richard Kalvar

"Life is about what you learn after you know it all."
  #3    Top
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Cap'n Flash
Tripod. It's probably a waste of time trying to shoot clear pictures at over 400mm without one. Even when you think you don't shake the camera, you do.
  #4    Top
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: EKU Fountain
nice shot
  #5    Top
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:28 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Did you have IS turned on? There is still some considerable shake noticible and I'm curious if you allowed the IS to stabilize prior to snapping the shot, or if mirror slap got it, or if it's just the results of using the 2X with the lens.
  #6    Top
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Cap'n Flash
IS was on, ohenry. I really didn't think to turn it off
even with the tripod. I was mainly focused on checking to see if there was any impovement in picture quality with the firmware update. I'll have to remind myself to turn the IS off when using the tripod next time and see how that looks.

I suppose the mirror caused some shake. One of these cloudy days I'll lock it up and see if I can detect any difference. For now, though, guess I'll have to be satisfied with whatever I can get.
  #7    Top
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
You don't have to turn off IS, but you need to hold the shutter release down for a second or two to allow the IS to recognize it's on a tripod and settle down.

Re: mirror shake, that would depend on the shutter speed. Most cams are most susceptible around 1/8 of a second or so. It's worth doing lock up for still life shots and slow shutter speeds, but with birds you'd might miss the shot.

Be worth your time to do some tests just to satisfy your own curiosities to see what works best. I know the 2X doesn't work all that great with zooms but they work great when you need that extra distance. I did some 2X shots with my 400mm telephoto and got fair results...but hey...it was 800mm zoom on a 1.6 crop factor camera
Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Cap'n Flash
Thanks for the IS tip, ohenry. I'll definitely try to
remember that.

I recall reading that mirror lock-up is useful only under certain conditions.

I really have a fetish when it comes to distance, which is why it p's me off so much that the 2x tc is
near useless where clarity is concerned. I probably'd be better off using a Canon prime lens than that 100-400mm with the 2x. 400mm prime is about the same price, but no IS . The 500mm
prime comes with IS and only $5,100 or so. And
impulsive is my middle name. Heh.