Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
View from the Top

Recent Hike up Hadley Mountain. Woke up at 4:30 AM, Should have gotten up an hour earlier I guess. Still decent enough light; clouds rolled in and rain came down later in the day, so it was this or nothing. Shot a lot with my Hasselblad, but did these two shots with the Nikon. Nikon D300, 35mm DX lens @ F8, 250th. With Polarizer for the first shot.

C&C always welcome and wanted.
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: View from the Top

Hey Eric I like the first one. What a beautiful area.

On the second one though I am a little curious as to your intent on this shot. Did you want the rocks in the foreground or a shot showing the rolling hills off in the distance?
  #3    Top
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM

I think it'll probably work better in the square I shot with the hassy. But I wanted to use the rocks in the foreground to draw you to the distant mountains. I'm iffy on the second shot; that's the reason I posted it.
  #4    Top
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I don't think you really needed the rocks to see those distant mountains. the range of colors carries that out nicely. I would be interested though in seeing the square shot
  #5    Top
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

I bet this is a great location for sunrise/sunset depending where the sun rises/sets. Too bad the timing is past the magic hour because this is a beautiful scene. How bad was the hike, Eric?
  #6    Top
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM

It's pretty straight uphill for the first hour. next half hour isn't bad, and then you're at the top. I'm thinking of doing an overnight here to get the light right. It's a 40 minute drive, 1.5 hike which makes for a lot of time in the dark (and little sleep) if I leave from my house. There's also access to a firetower here that gets you up even higher if you are so inclined. Sunset would probably be the best, but I had work to do that evening (plus it poured...). You've got a 360 view from the top though. Hadley Mountain is the area.
  #7    Top
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

Well, the best solution would be to hike up there ofr sunset and camp over night and already be there for sunrise. Hiking up/down mountain trails in the dark is dangerous and sometimes painful (low branches in the dark) Ah, that elusive perfect light!!!!
  #8    Top
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Junior VIP Member

I really like the first image. You've done a great job of framing the scene with those trees and the little bit of morning mist over the river adds some atmosphere. I think you're right about the light being better earlier. A darker sky and a bit more of a golden cast might make this extra special.
  #9    Top
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:50 PM

Definitely worth a trip back. Thanks for the thoughts folks.
  #10    Top
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:17 AM

A few more now that the hasselblad shots have been processed.

80mm Planar

150 Sonnar

50mm Distagon

and with Plus-x instead (Fun to change backs)

150mm Sonnar

C&C always welcome and wanted.

Last edited by mudman; June 30th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes