Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:22 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Jimmy 2
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Mt. Rainier: Part 4 - Chinook Pass area loop trail

Anyone who has followed or viewed my past images will recognize this as my stated favorite hike, especially as I get older. It is approximately 3.5 miles long (depending on who you ask), has an modest elevation gain of 500 ft (5355 to 5870 ft), and has great views during its entire length. It follows the Pacific Crest Trail southward from Chinook Pass, thru the edge of the William O. Douglas Wilderness (Supreme Court Justice and native of nearby Yakima, WA), before looping into MRNP. I've done it in as little as 1 hr 15 minutes and upwards of 7-8 hours, fitness and photo distractions/opportunities being the greatest factors. It is a hike to be savored! I spent a little over 3 hours this time.

I used both a 24-105mm and 70-200/f4 lenses...but can't recall which when! I also used a GND on some.

1. The hike can be done CW or CCW. I ALWAYS choose CW. I used to drop the vehicle at the trailhead and then hike back from the lower trailhead. Wisdom now prevails and I do the short road hike FIRST, leaving the car at the lower trailhead. As such, I get to hike past this viewpoint of Tipsoo Lake and Mt Rainier beyond.

Canon 5D II, 45mm
ISO-100, f-10, 1/30 sec, polarizer
tripod, MLU, cable release
2. Backlit foliage....I can't help myself! Trailside huckleberry, mostly gleaned of its fruit (bears, birds, people, and ???).

Canon 5D II, 105mm
ISO-100, f-4, 1/160 sec, polarizer
3. A favorite photogenic tarn (snowmelt fed pond) at its brownest/driest and lowest water level, by far, that I've ever seen. Looking north.

Canon 5D II, 32mm
ISO-100, f-11, 1/50 sec, polarizer
4. The trail ahead reenters MRNP (Mt Rainier National Park). The trail to the left is the PCT heading south.

Canon 5D II, 35mm
ISO-100, f-11, 1/25 sec, polarizer
5. Up thru this moment, the views have been north, east, and south as a peak to the immediate west blocks views of Mt Rainier. This last ascent will change that!

Canon 5D II, 47mm
ISO-100, f-11, 1/25 sec, polarizer
6. What I refer to as "the lunch spot". You literally pop over the ridge and are immediately confronted with this view. A great place to soak it all in. In the Spring (mid-late July most years) you have vast wildflower fields and in the fall you have alpine firs and fall foliage in the bushes. For the next mile various versions of this view are why I do the loop CW.

Canon 5D II, 70mm
ISO-100, f-16, 1/20 sec, polarizer
7. Another couple of 100 yards out, with a wider view lens, you get this view.

Canon 5D II, 32mm
ISO-100, f-16, 1/10 sec, polarizer
8. Further along yet, another closer view. That's Governor's Ridge (right) and The Chimneys (left) below the snowline. North-south running Cayuse Pass is nearer. As the loop trail circles around the peak, undulating along its ridges, to the immediate left is a STEEP cliff with great views, often overlooking raptors soaring BELOW you.

Canon 5D II, 70mm
ISO-100, f-16, 1/10 sec, polarizer
9. THE mountain, as it's known locally, making its own weather, noting the cloud cap. Little Tahoma Peak is left of center. Just left of the cliffs on the right of Rainier is 1 of 3 major ascent routes up the mountain, emanating from Camp Schurman which is located above Steamboat Prow, the inverted V on the far right. 2 of the major 28 glaciers on Rainier split at Steamboat into Emmons (nearside) and Winthrop (backside).

Canon 5D II, 105mm
ISO-100, f-16, 1/40 sec, polarizer

Your comments and/or critique are always appreciated.

Other threads in this series include:
1. Mt Rainier NP: part 1 - Paradise
2. Mt. Rainier: Part 2 - Stevens Canyon
3. Mt. Rainier: Part 3 - Chinook Pass

Last edited by Russ; October 23rd, 2015 at 02:30 PM.
  #2    Top
Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:51 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Mt. Rainier: Part 4 - Chinook Pass area loop trail

Breathtaking beautiful scenery Russ, thanks for sharing these.
  #3    Top
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:37 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

gorgeous, especially the last several shots with those spectacular views of the mountain. #6 is breathtaking! i've never hiked that trail... now i may have to give it a try. one nit, it seems the images are a bit dark, especially foregrounds... i might have lightened the shadow areas a bit to highlight the colors. also, i've found that using a polarizer at high elevations can sometimes lead to odd colors... as a result, i don't use one in the mountains. i do occasionally use a 3-stop grad ND if i need to tone down the sky a bit...

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #4    Top
Old October 24th, 2015, 12:06 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Absolutely beautiful series. I particularly like #6, 8 + 9. Wonderful!

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #5    Top
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

spectacular Russ !! That cloud working off the mountain top really adds to the image, really like the warm foreground colors against the cool colors of the sky
  #6    Top
Old October 27th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Account Disabled
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Manny, Rocky, Sabine, & Jim,

Thanks for viewing and commenting....always appreciated.
  #7    Top
Old October 28th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Another nice series, Russ. It's nice you've got such ready access to an enjoyable hike!

flickr Photostream
  #8    Top
Old October 28th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks Tim.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places