Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Dark-Eyed Junco
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Thought I'd Share This

Family Commemorative Sign

In the late spring of 2008 the extended family got together to jointly put up a commemorative sign along the Harriman Trail in the SNRA near our cabins in Idaho. My Great Uncle Frank Jeffries along with a Doctor bought a cabin in Easley area in 1926 which remained in the family until the 1980s. The extended family now has 4 cabins in this area and it is a reunion point every summer. Only a lucky few still reside in Idaho the rest of us come/travel from CA, OR, WA, KS, CO & TX..

Now to the point, this spring the sign was erected and all but 2 photos are mine (my contribution). I found working with the FS can prove to be frustrating at times. I understood the beaver choice to go with the pond (I did not have a decent one) but the sandpiper was a big HUH! None of us can remember ever seeing one around this area and we do wade the river fly fishing and do wildflower photo walks. We suggested a water ouzel (dipper) which is plentiful in place of the sandpiper but it was vetoed. This was the fourth version that finally passed muster with the FS and the Blaine County Rec. Dist.

Just thought Id share.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JWB_July09_048_72ppi.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	75002  Click image for larger version

Name:	JWB_July09_052_72ppi.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	75003  Click image for larger version

Name:	JWB_July09_053_72ppi.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	75004  
  #2    Top
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Recent Photo: mrchile - Peony
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: Thought I'd Share This

Frustrations aside, this turned out beautifully!
What a nice commemorative and lovely land!
  #3    Top
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

What an honor that must be, thanks for sharing this with us Jerry.
  #4    Top
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellezfotoz View Post
Frustrations aside, this turned out beautifully!
What a nice commemorative and lovely land!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott111184 View Post
What an honor that must be, thanks for sharing this with us Jerry.
Thanks Michelle & Scott it was an intersting project to participate in. What initially was supposed to take 4 months from conception to insilation took a year. It was fun working with the graphic designer.

Jerry
  #5    Top
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Sitting Through Time
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks for sharing...

I love my cameras
Cameras: (two) Canon 40D
Lenses: (Canon) 24-70mm f2.8L, 100mm f2.8L Macro IS,
70-200mm f4.0L; (Sigma) 50-500mm f4.0-6.3
  #6    Top
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Premiere Member

Thanks Greg it was a fun project and learning experience.

Jerry
  #7    Top
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

So how was the vacation Jerry? You hit the hottest weather we've had so far...

Nice commemorative sign! Hope you had a great time up here.

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
  #8    Top
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no16caddis View Post
So how was the vacation Jerry? You hit the hottest weather we've had so far...

Nice commemorative sign! Hope you had a great time up here.
The first 10 days up were more rain than sun and we did get warm up there for awhile. The most aggravating problem was a bear that thought nothing of getting on the cabin deck and looking in at you through the window. A little disconcerting when one is setting at the table next to the window reading and upon hearing a noise look-up to see a bear with it's nose inches from the glass checking you out. As the weather grew warmer we saw it less and less but it still was around. I'll attach a jpeg of the bear up a tree between the 2 cabins as it was investigating a pizza pan that was used to cover the top of a bird feeder (long gone) to prevent the squirrels from getting into the seed.

Thanks for the complment, the sign project was fun and brings back a lot of family memories of times up there.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JWB_Cabinbear01-2009.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	75113  
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner