Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Photography ethics?

I've just been wondering this. Is it ok to take pictures of things on other people properties, or pictures of other people, without asking thier permission? What if you want to enter that photo into some kind of contest or sell the photo? Is it alright to do so without the permission of the people in the picture, or the people who's property it is? I see a lot of nice stuff sometimes, but am hesitant to take the pic cuz I don't know if there's a possibility of getting sued over "not asking first" or something

But then, I've seen a lot of photos here of just random people walking or whatever....so I thought, maybe there isn't a written rule on this kind of thing. Help? I think I'm missing some good shots over this
  #2    Top
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:28 AM
i didn't mean a "written" rule really...more like..maybe there's no rule..written or unwritten. that sounded wierd after i'd already posted it...lol
  #3    Top
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Junior VIP Member
Coomon courtesy dictates that you ask first.

If the imae appears, for example, on a billboard or in an advertisement then you could and probably would wind up in a difficult situation.

If for example you had an image of a person's property that wound up in an ad you'd need a property release to use use the image.

It's covered under copyrights and property rights.
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
thanks for the answer ....

so...i guess i'd feel funny going "oh...i just took your picture...mind if i use it in a photo contest?" i mean..you wouldn't want the person to know beforehand...in candid shots anyways..that you were going to take their picture. maybe i should just steer away from unknown people and places?

as it is..i'm always embarrassed to be SEEN taking pictures. i don't know why, i'd just rather take them when i'm by myself, no one watching me, no one laughing at the positions i get myself into (on my stomach, upside down, whatever...lol) to get the shot. i'd be SO uncomfortable asking permission
  #5    Top
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Junior VIP Member
What can be done legally and what can be done ethically are vastly different. And will vary by individual as well.

I am part of a parenting forum where if anyone posts a picture and it has anyone else identifable besides your children you are opening up grounds for a full flaming.

Legally if you have a right to legally be seeing what you are seeing you can take a picture of it. This includes walking down the street past a young couples home through their bedroom window into whatever various activities may be going on. Ethically to me that's a flat out NO WAY, but legally it's ok. The ethics line is a lot more fuzzy.

It changes again when you want to use those pictures for something. A lot of contests require that there is a model release signed and I can't imagine anyone using one for advertising that didn't have a model release with it.
  #6    Top
Old November 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM
thanks michar

i totally understand having to have permission for advertising purposes..and i'm not even thinking of SELLING photos as of now. i'm just worried that if i want to take pictures of kids playing in a park...or of a couple walking down the road or sitting at a cafe talking..whatever..i don't want to get into trouble for taking a photo and not talking to them about it or something.

don't worry..not going peering into anyone's bedroom windows looking for photo opportunities! ...i wasn't meaning anything like that obviously.

thanks for the responses though...i think these are the types of answers i'm looking for
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101