Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
Landscape photography lense

I am going to be purchasing a DSLR probably a Canon not sure which model yet but I am trying to figure out what lense to use. I will mainly be using it for Landscapes, Sunsets, and wildlife photography. I don't really know what I am looking for, what focal length, speed ect... So any info you can provide will be helpful and once I decide on a lense then I can make a final decision on which Camera body I will be purchasing.
  #2    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:12 AM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
For landscapes you want a wide angle lens and wildlife a telephoto lens, so you are probably going to have to get two lenses. Lenses don't have speeds, but you do need to look into:

focal length (how much zoom)
glass quality
minimum and maximum aperture
compatibilty with your camera/camera's autofocus

Wait for some more comments that might have specific advice for lenses, but those are some general tips.
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
For many, a lens' speed refers to it's maximum aperture. I "fast" lens will have a larger maximum aperture compared to a slower lens. I suppose you can look at it this way. With a larger maximum aperture you will be able to use a faster shutter speed given the same conditions when compared to a "slower" lens that has a smaller maximum aperture. The other issue of speed when it comes to a lens is how fast will it autofocus. This becomes a key issue mainly with telephoto lenses when you are shooting moving subjects. This would be a consideration when shooting most wildlife.

I agree with Adam that you will be looking for two different lenses more than likely to shoot two very different types of subject matter.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #4    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Premiere Jerk
Recent Photo: Ripple Path
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Ditto with them -
Have 100-400 for my wildlife, 17-70 for my landscapes -Going to introduce the 10-20 this year for wider landscapes.
  #5    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
A $20 book on the basics of SLR photography will be a far wiser purchase than spending $hundreds on the lenses that you later replace. There are so many options available that one could spend a princely sum and still not have the right equipment for every job. If your resources are more limited, I would suggest simply buying your dSLR with the kit lens (or a similar medium range telephoto) and learning photography.
  #6    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
What I am looking for are recomendations on focal lengths and maximum aperatures for a lense used in these applications and why. I have read about and understand what each of the values mean but I am looking for real world experience in these situations on what works and what doesn't. I know a 1000mm lense could take some pretty good wildlife shots but it is not feasable to carry around in the woods. So that is the type of recomendations I am looking for.
  #7    Top
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natclanwy View Post
I know a 1000mm lense could take some pretty good wildlife shots
Dont get a head of your self here. Just remember its the person behind the camera not the camer, or acceceries that make a good photo.

I have never seen anyone with a 1000mm lens. One they do not make them in todays glass, the only ones I have evern seen are the old mirror lens. And you can pick those up for 100 bucks. If you can find a high quality 1000mm again not sure if they even exist you can count on it being well over 10,000 dollars.

What you really need is a 300-500mm range with a 2x extender.

If you are really set on having a 1000mm focal length the only way i can see this happeneing is if you buy a 50mm or a 600mm lens then buy an extender to increase the focal length.
  #8    Top
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I am not looking for a 1000mm lense I was just trying to make the point that specs for a lense isn't all there is to consider when looking for the right lense. What I am really looking for is some advice from someone who is taking similar pictures to what I want to take on what type of lenses work well for them. My dad had a 1000mm lense he picked up at an auction when I was a kid it was in a box with about 10 different lenses and an old pentax camera. The thing was huge and weighed about 20lbs. It would be difficult to use a lense this big for anything but a stationary tripod that you were going to leave set up for the day.
  #9    Top
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM
five-oh photographer
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I agree with Ohenry abotu the kit lens. Once you get the kit Lens you will realize the limitations and advantages of it. For example, I purchased a canon 75-300 zoom thinking I would like the long telephoto. As it happens, my favorite lenses now are a Sigma 105 Macro and a 50mm prime. I haven't used the zoom in a while.
Now that I know what I am capable of it is easier to see what options appeal to me.

Stop reading and go shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
  #10    Top
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Are you using these lenses for wildlife photography? I currently have a powershot s2 and most of the time I am taking pictures of wildlife it is at maximum zoom and alot of the time it is still not enough. Landscapes vary depending on what I am photographing if it is the nearby mountain ranges I am maxed out or close to it unless I am trying to capture a sunset or other objects in the foreground. My powershot lense is suppost to be equivilent to a 35mm 36-432mm zoom. I am current leaning towards a 70-300mm zoom lense and a Canon 30d. I already have a 50-85mm lense from my old Canon 35mm.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)