Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Hey Look a Great Horned Owl in the Day!

Yeah way to beat a dead horse I know...but it still makes me laugh how little people know about these incredible birds.

I shot this in Rocky Mountain Arsenal just outside of Denver CO. The place is a human deadzone that they've let the wildlife come back in, and its pretty creepy to be in there. This Owl is perfect for such a place.

The fun part is he flew from a dark perch near his Owl box, and right into the sun aiming himself at me. He sat there for a few minutes and I was able to slowly approach until I was approximately 30 feet away.

I did not add additional fill light to the left eye as it wouldn't naturally land there with the direction it was sitting.

#2    Top
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Hey Look a Great Horned Owl in the Day!

"My, what big eyes you have....". Great capture. As many times as I've seen them (nesting pair and 1-2 owlets each spring) at the relatively nearby NWR, its hard to get this close and that unobstructed a view given the densely foliated riparian areas they favor here. Largely have had weekly sighting of 1 to as many as 4 since February. Tough to tell juveniles from adult this time of year. Note that, as with other species, PNW versions of GHO are notably darker....a function of sun/humidity and bacteria on the feathers apparently.
  #3    Top
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Maidens View Post
Yeah way to beat a dead horse I know...but it still makes me laugh how little people know about these incredible birds.

I shot this in Rocky Mountain Arsenal just outside of Denver CO. The place is a human deadzone that they've let the wildlife come back in, and its pretty creepy to be in there. This Owl is perfect for such a place.

The fun part is he flew from a dark perch near his Owl box, and right into the sun aiming himself at me. He sat there for a few minutes and I was able to slowly approach until I was approximately 30 feet away.

I did not add additional fill light to the left eye as it wouldn't naturally land there with the direction it was sitting.

Great capture, I love nature pics and this is beautiful, I dream of taking such a photograph.
  #4    Top
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM

nice shot. I love owl pics.
  #5    Top
Old October 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Great shot. Love the light and background!

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #6    Top
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thanks folks
  #7    Top
Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Recent Photo: DPP_0016

What a beautiful photo! Great shot!
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals