Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Account Disabled
self portrait with son for theme "pairs"

self portrait with son for a weekly theme i participate in on another site. this weeks them was pairs.

ISO 400
1/4000
f5.6

used tripod and ten second timer

critique welcome. I realize some will not like the watermark. I urge you to ignore it and focus on the critique. The watermark IS NOT there to enhance. It is there to protect the image.

i adore this photo! he has my hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	91209  
  #2    Top
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: self portrait with son for theme "pairs"

I like the composition, the level of the camera and expressions but the faded pinkish cast removes a warm feel that I would expect. For me it lacks a richness do to the lack of contrast. With that said this is just my subjective viewpoint and does not make me right. You are the artist and it is your vision and statement that counts. ~ jerrywb
  #3    Top
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Super cute!! I love that you are looking at him, it really shows a loving bond I agree with Jerry about the contrast, a curves bump would make it pop.
  #4    Top
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywb View Post
I like the composition, the level of the camera and expressions but the faded pinkish cast removes a warm feel that I would expect. For me it lacks a richness do to the lack of contrast. With that said this is just my subjective viewpoint and does not make me right. You are the artist and it is your vision and statement that counts. ~ jerrywb
yes, the lack of contrast is intentional this edit is done with the matte b&w preset from pretty presets and some adjustment brushes. i have an affinity for the matte look thanks so much for your critique! means a lot!
  #5    Top
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I happen to also like the way it it is. It's a different form of treatment that you don't see everyday. The pose is very well done and the composition is spot on. Beautiful job.
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Processing is a matter of taste, but the composition is overworked.
The siding on the left and the negative space created by it is distracting and unnecessary considering the subject.
Fill the frame with the you and your son. The interaction between you 2 is the story. Anything else is superfluous.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #7    Top
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 2013_09_26_4135_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
The siding on the left and the negative space created by it is distracting and unnecessary considering the subject.
Fill the frame with the you and your son. The interaction between you 2 is the story. Anything else is superfluous.
I agree with Chile, but also want to say, that my first impression was, that this is neither fish nor fowl. The processing isn't black and white, nor sepia toned. Plus it is dull without contrast, or sufficient sharpness.
Classic example that, what a mom or dad may like is just a single element, like pose, expression, etc. I filled lots of albums with those kind of shots. But to make an image that appeals to a wider range of viewers, more is needed.
  #8    Top
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
I find any tighter crop becomes much too tight and uncomfortable, especially when I go to frame the photo.
  #9    Top
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by suci View Post
I agree with Chile, but also want to say, that my first impression was, that this is neither fish nor fowl. The processing isn't black and white, nor sepia toned. Plus it is dull without contrast, or sufficient sharpness.
Classic example that, what a mom or dad may like is just a single element, like pose, expression, etc. I filled lots of albums with those kind of shots. But to make an image that appeals to a wider range of viewers, more is needed.
The post processing is a matte b&w that is actually much more common than you think. In fact, it is one of Pretty Presets bestsellers. Additionally, you may want to read the description of my photo. This is a self portrait with my son, an expression of my love for him and my love for photography. Not a way to rope in potential clients, and as it is a self portrait of myself and my son, a wide range of viewers is not really needed. I also disagree with your viewpoint. The expression and moment caught is one of the most important aspects of photography, not just "that kind of shot." The processing some love, and some don't so I'd say your view on that is one of opinion. Thanks for taking the time to critique!
  #10    Top
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 2013_09_26_4135_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Mom; the fact that I don't care for the processing is as you say a matter of opinion. But I did read your description for the photo; you said it was a theme challenge of sorts on an other Forum. That is why I thought you wanted a wider audience, to see the photo and you posted it here asking for critique.
I also agree with your point that expressions and capturing the moment is the most important thing in Photography. Again that is the reason I said I have albums full of those shots. Technically they may not be to everybody's liking, but they mean a lot to our family.
I fear you misunderstood my critique of this photo. Surely it is a precious photo, embodying all that you say it means to. I didn't mean to disparage your work. I simply gave my impressions as I saw them. If that upset you I am truly sorry.
tyou