Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM
M-A-N-Y Questions!

Hi everyone,
I've popped in and out of this forum for a bit, so I'm confident you guys can give me some good advice. I'm just getting into photography (check out my life story in the intro section - lol).
I have a cheaper digital camera that stinks(!!), so I decided I was going to get a good 35mm. So far, I like the Canon Rebel T2. Pros/Cons about this one? The majority of my pictures will be action - my main subjects are horses. The one thing I REALLY want is a camera that will take crisp, clear moving photos.
Today, I started thinking that maybe a digital (along the same lines as the above Canon) is where I should go. Now, I know the digital vs film debate is neverending. However, which would you suggest to a person such as myself, taking the type of photos I want? Can you point out any major pros/cons for either?
Finally, at least for now, can someone explain to me (in newbie terms) lenses? IE: 70-280mm, F 2.8L. How do I figure out what lense would be good for what I want?
I want some good quality equipment, but don't have a TON to spend. Not to mention, I don't want it to be useless in a year or two.
Sorry for the long blabbering post. I thank you for your patience with me and your answers!

Dana
p.s. Can you also suggest any good books to learn from, that I won't drown in the techno-babble?
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I realized that was a lot...

No one can even suggest a book???
  #3    Top
Old January 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM
You said your main subjects are horses. And if you want to take pictures of them running, you will want a camera that offers a shutter speed up to at least 1/1000. That is, the setting on the Shutter Priority should go that high. Assuming you will be shooting during the day, this will allow you to get crisper images and to "freeze" the action.

As for not sure about getting digital or film. You just need to weigh out the pros and cons. For instance, what are the pictures purpose going to serve? Are taking these for other people or simply for your own photo album collection? One example is that with Film, you get better quality (at least, that seems to be the case) but then you also need to buy lots of film and wind up tossing out the pictures that didnt come out the way you wanted, pictures you paid money to develop. But with digital, you could take 200 pictures in a single day and at the end, delete the ones you dont like, and develop the ones you do like. But you can find a sophisticated film camera for the same price as a useless cheap digital camera. Whatever road you take, you will want to think further ahead about add-ons like lenses, flashes, filters, etc.

There's quite a lot of books you could learn a lot from. One I would reccomend to you is called " The Complete Book of Photography". Which talks about things like Filters, Exposure, Sports and Actions shots, Landscape shots, film, lenses, Flashes, Composition, Shutter speeds, Aperature, and much more. Go get it! And good luck in your search for a camera and good luck with your photos! I hope I have been of some help to you.
  #4    Top
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
you also need a fast lens. A fast lens is the one which has a big aperture likf f/2.8. Unfortunately good fast lenses do not come cheap.
For digital camera, try to go for the CMOS sensor and not the CCD sensor as noise at higher ISO ( you will need to shoot at higher ISO to freeze action) is less in CMOS sensors.
  #5    Top
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: IMG_5414_hf_TIF1
I don't know if you are taking Pics of horses for fun or for bussiness purposes but i am going to sugesst a book to you that i find very helpful. Photographing Horses and Other Livestock: The Complete Guide (Paperback) By: Darol Dickinson
its a very good book. i can also vouch for the fact that he is a great photographer, as he has been a family freind of sorts since i was in jr.high.

as for you camera go ahead and start out with a 35mm if you go with a cannon or a nikon you can get a start on your lens and learn a lot of stuff fron the camera before jusmping in and getting a digital dslr or whatever you choose to get at that time
anyways thats just my 2 cents

Gallery
Feel free to critique any of my images.

#6    Top
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinha_punit
you also need a fast lens. A fast lens is the one which has a big aperture likf f/2.8. Unfortunately good fast lenses do not come cheap.
For digital camera, try to go for the CMOS sensor and not the CCD sensor as noise at higher ISO ( you will need to shoot at higher ISO to freeze action) is less in CMOS sensors.
you know, that is a generally true statement, however the Nikon D50 and the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D actually produce lower noise at higher ISO's then the Canon Digital Rebel XT and even the 20D. Generally speaking though, that is a true statement.

Honestly mercy - I'd probably stick with digital, because with action shots youre going to be taking a LOT of shots that will be throwaway, with digital you can take 500 pictures and keep 1. So, basically, You'll take a lot of shots of youre horses moving, and most of the time - you probably wont be able to time it right for the composition, and you will endure a lot of trial and error. I think that digital cameras give you a lot more flexibility in trial and error than 35's do - and wether or not it will give you the better picture, heck, lets not go there, what i will say is that it sounds to me like youd be well served with the practical convenience of digital for the type of shooting you want to do. if that makes any sense.

*edit - also, if you dont have your own dark room for a 35mm, then digital is an absolute must.
  #7    Top
Old January 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbesol
Honestly mercy - I'd probably stick with digital, because with action shots youre going to be taking a LOT of shots that will be throwaway, with digital you can take 500 pictures and keep 1. So, basically, You'll take a lot of shots of youre horses moving, and most of the time - you probably wont be able to time it right for the composition, and you will endure a lot of trial and error. I think that digital cameras give you a lot more flexibility in trial and error than 35's do - and wether or not it will give you the better picture, heck, lets not go there, what i will say is that it sounds to me like youd be well served with the practical convenience of digital for the type of shooting you want to do. if that makes any sense.

*edit - also, if you dont have your own dark room for a 35mm, then digital is an absolute must.

While it is true that you get more flexibility with digital, only your higher priced cameras will have the ability to shoot at the high iso and fast shutter speed that you need; if you cannot spend that much money upfront, a 35mm will give you the speed and accuracy... Even if you could dish out the $$$$ for a DSLR and you're not experienced in SLR operation, you'll waste alot of time "figuring out" that expensive DSLR.
Also, if you find a good lab, you will not be paying for all those too dark, too slow shots;
I love my digitals but I'm always glad I started off with my little 35mm SLR.
  #8    Top
Old January 14th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinayoder
as for you camera go ahead and start out with a 35mm if you go with a cannon or a nikon you can get a start on your lens and learn a lot of stuff fron the camera before jusmping in and getting a digital dslr or whatever you choose to get at that time
VERY good point
  #9    Top
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Hi again... I appreciate all of your replies! I will definately check out those books mentioned.

Like I said earlier, I've read enough to know that the Digital vs 35mm debate is endless. And I'm glad it hasn't gone there on this thread! I like the idea of a digital solely because I CAN take 300 shots, and just delete any I don't want. But, I think I will just wait on that one, and get the 35mm mastered (Ha - does that ever happen??)

I found this kit while camera shopping the past few days. It comes with a 70-300mm Sigma lens in addition to the 28-80mm Sigma. Worth it?

Anyway, thanks again!
Dana
  #10    Top
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Senior VIP Member
Looks good..
Don't know if you're an ebayer but i ran across this...
Ebay Kit
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101