Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM
sharper focus

i've gotten the comment 'soft focus' on a lot of my pictures. are there any other hints or tips other then carefully focusing (my camera is fully manual) using a tripod and a cable release that anyone could help me with. Shooting handheld i try to remember to keep my shutter speed no slower than 1/60 sec. thanks.
  #2    Top
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:46 PM
VIP Member
Recent Photo: Ouch!
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa
i've gotten the comment 'soft focus' on a lot of my pictures. are there any other hints or tips other then carefully focusing (my camera is fully manual) using a tripod and a cable release that anyone could help me with. Shooting handheld i try to remember to keep my shutter speed no slower than 1/60 sec. thanks.
It could be the lens.. or the autofocusing isn't great. I get those comments myself sometimes.
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
I get that comment frequently as well.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my glasses or contact lenses.

My 'close up' vision is fine. Should I not use my corrective glasses to look through the view finder?
  #4    Top
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
Premiere Jerk
Recent Photo: Ripple Path
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Are you shooting w/ digital or film? If film, how do you transfer them into digital form?
  #5    Top
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
i use film and when i get it developed i get them to put it on a cd as well. i'm not sure what they use to do so though...
  #6    Top
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Premiere Jerk
Recent Photo: Ripple Path
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
You probably need to sharpen your photos more. Depending on your which program you are using, look for unsharp mask or sharpen feature. Play around and learn.

Here is a good read.

Photos below are from the same file.
Check out the bud, and the petals toward the buttom, you can see more detail when the photo goes through an extra sharpen phase. The first photo is soft in nature.

Orginal Photo

Sharpen Photo

Hope this makes some sense.
JJ
  #7    Top
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Premiere Member
As already indicated here an investigation is required. The clues are in the posts. Set up a scenario that is sensitive to depth of field, which amounts to being close with a small aperture. If the camera has a longer focal length option then use that. A good example for a target is sheet of text say a news paper. The newspaper is set horizontal and the camera set at a hight such that the grazing angle is shallow. Focus halfway down the paper and take a shot. When you look at the image you can see how good the focus is because there will be a maximum point of focus where it is as "good as it gets", Is this where you think it should be? If not then you have a focussing problem and you chase that. If there is nothing sharp then you have to look at the negative and go in that direction.

Cheers, Ray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	focus.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	11264  

Chance favors only the prepared mind (Louis Pasteur)
  #8    Top
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely give that a try.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101