Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Silent Screamer
Recent Photo: Mr. Confused
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Whistle While You Work

Saw this guy yesterday while shopping in Canterbury. Tough job busking in this weather really, I admire these guys. All thoughts and input welcome on this. Not sure why the conversion doesn't seem quite right to me. If I contrast it any more, the whites become too burned out. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5690Whistle while you work2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	9775  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5690Whistle while you work2+.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	9776  

EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT FROM FAR AWAY
  #2    Top
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Elite Member
Hi terri, I think that the first photograph is by far the better of the two. I agree you cannot contrast it anymore. If it were mine, I'd have no hesitation in cropping it down by a third, ie, losing the first third of this photograph and doing away with the people in the top left corner so you concentrate on the busker who would then be just off center to the right. Like your caption to.
  #3    Top
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:43 AM
A Totally Awesome Guy
Recent Photo: Purple
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Great capture terri! To be honest, I like the first one better. The second one seems a bit too...."enhanced" for lack of a better word. Just my opinion. I love the composition, nice work!
Thanks!
  #4    Top
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Silent Screamer
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Thanks for all the input Robin and Scott. I agree that I prefer the first one..that's the one I originally put up, then I thought well, some people go more for the dark contrast so I added that as an afterthought to see how opinions would vary on it. I can see what you mean about the crop, I didn't do that because then it removes the 'street' scene, what was happening around him at the time. I thought it typifies the busker's lot, no one really listening nearby to what was actually very pretty music on a very dismal day...I put money in his bag though!

#6    Top
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Elite Member
Good on yer terri, perhaps he might buy another penny whistle or buy a bicycle pump if he runs out of puff! lol
  #7    Top
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Flower Seed Head
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I agree that the first one is better. I also like keeping the picture as it is. This is another great shot from you. I still think you should put a portfolio together of the street scenes.

My dad bought my husband and I a couple of art photography books (basically hardcover coffee table style books) for us for Christmas. We got them yesterday, and one of them is the photographs of Lee Friedlander. Many of his people shots reminded me of your photos. Flipping through the book, he had a picture of a person walking down the street, with his shadow on her back. Reminded me of a photo of yours posted a little while ago. It's very interesting photography and all of his pictures are in black and white. Just thought I would mention that because I thought of your pictures while scanning through some of his...

"If you really want to hurt your parents, go into the arts."
-Kurt Vonnegut

My blog
My Facebook page
Connect with me on Twitter @nicoleannstpaul
  #8    Top
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Silent Screamer
Wow, cornflake girl, to think of me and Lee Friedlander in the same breath is so awesome and a huge compliment. I love his work and one day I hope I can achieve somewhere near what he's accomplished. Just trying to catch that human experience in one frame. I feel there's a million miles to travel before I attain that but you just made my day..probably my year!! Thanks too to Zheng and Robin for your input. It really makes a difference to hear what other's think, gives you a load of additional 'eyes'!

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People