Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 28th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Children fleeing smoke

There was a big fire the other day here in Winnipeg, so I grabbed my camera and took some shots. I've never done any photojournalism type work before, but one of the papers purchesed some of the photos, so I thought I'd post one on here for your critiques. Any thoughts on this shot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2976_1_l.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	9117  

The Best Damn Photo Blog Period

Chris Deyoe Photography
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old November 28th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Trigger Happy Fella
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Nicely capture, what an opportunity. Congrats on your sale of pics!
  #3    Top
Old November 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Congrats, that is awsome!! its a good photo too, captures the kids evacuating and parent or teacher helping!
  #4    Top
Old November 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Flower Seed Head
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
This is a great capture. Too bad you couldn't get a little bit more of the fireman in the background, but this is a great story-telling picture. There have been a couple of opportunities I have had to take photojournalistic pictures, but I always feel so awkward. Nice job and congrats on selling some!

"If you really want to hurt your parents, go into the arts."
-Kurt Vonnegut

My blog
My Facebook page
Connect with me on Twitter @nicoleannstpaul
  #5    Top
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
If you don;t mind me askin, how did u get the newspaper to buy some of your photos, did u just call up an editor and told him you had some pics, because i am interested in doing a few little jobs like this!
  #6    Top
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Convenient time eh...or did you light it on fire just for this picture?!?!?!?!?!?...anyway interesting, and I hope everyone got out fine.
  #7    Top
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Quote:
If you don;t mind me askin, how did u get the newspaper to buy some of your photos, did u just call up an editor and told him you had some pics
Basically yes. I called the editors desk and informed him I had some pictures of the fire he might be interested in. He informed me that they had their staff photographers on the scene, but to email him some proofs. I sent in my best 5, and I was lucky enough to have some published.

A couple things to keep in mind.

1) Only send in your absolute best shots. I took about 200 photos, but only submitted 5. If I had sent 40 photos he would have just deleted the email. They don't have time to look through every picture you take.

2) Send in pictures you think they can use. If you can't imagine a tagline with the photo, it probably wouldn't be good for the newspaper. They must be able to tell a story with your photo or it is no good to them. Also look at examples of what you are shooting. Photojournalist type photos are usually wide angle shots with people in the frame. A close-up of the icicles on the outside of the building contrasting with the fire inside might be great artistically, but it is useless to the newspaper.

The Best Damn Photo Blog Period

Chris Deyoe Photography
  #8    Top
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: First-day-of-school
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I think this is a great shot! The little one in the front leading the pack with her mit over her hand tells the story IMO. Nice job and congrats on your first published photo. Well done.

Jules.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People