Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 17th, 2005, 07:26 PM
VIP Member
Recent Photo: Ouch!
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
HeavyLoad

Ok , I usually don't go shooting people, but this one seemed hard to pass up. There was alot of color variation and tone in this image, so decided b/w and selective color was probably the way to go with this. I named the image WideLoad, but believe Heavy Load sounds more accurate.

Let me know what ya think
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
  #2    Top
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:53 AM
i can just (barely) tell shes pushing the cart.. and that was on very close inspection... the selective color is just not right for this photo iMO
  #3    Top
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM
VIP Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Can you tell me why you believe selective color doesn't work for this image?
To myself, there is way too many distractions in the background, both in color and in tones. I liked the colors of the blanket... not to mention it being a weird scene in the beginwith. As for shadows, and the fact she is wearing black, there wasn't much that could be done to improve my shot without blowing highlights in the shot elsewhere. Ok, so alternatively I could have got a shot from the side... and with less background somewhere, but then it would appear to be more intrusive.Yes I'm reserved.
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
  #4    Top
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I have to agree. The problem for me with the selective coloring on the cart is with her clothing being black and how it blends in too much with the shadows on the back of the cart. Makes it difficult to distinguish between her and the cart. Not sure how you would correct this. I do, however, like the selective coloring on the balloons. I would also like to see her a bit off center.
  #5    Top
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Don't kid yourself. If I were judging this photo in a contest, it would be up there. Great judgement on the photo and I am comfortable with the composition. Maybe, clean the shadows up a bit, but other then that, I like it.
  #6    Top
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:22 PM
VIP Member
Well, seems most here agree about the shadows so redid my editing. 2 times harder than coloring, just to
get the tones in the shadows and her dark cloths up.
(although went overboard on coloring the second time round, as seen in the weeds).

Feedback welcome... but im not cropping my ballons out darn it!
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBSmiles
Well, seems most here agree about the shadows so redid my editing. 2 times harder than coloring, just to
get the tones in the shadows and her dark cloths up.
(although went overboard on coloring the second time round, as seen in the weeds).

Feedback welcome... but im not cropping my ballons out darn it!
Don't you dare take out the balloons. They work for me! The rest, you've already caught yourself. Great photo.
  #8    Top
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Much better! You can now easily distinguish her from the cart. Absolutely leave the balloons. If I cropped it, I would do it from the left so as to leave the balloons.
  #9    Top
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Silent Screamer
Recent Photo: Mr. Confused
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
This is cool VB! Sorry I missed it somehow, with all these different forums now, I have trouble keeping up. I like this image, I would, wouldn't I! It's just the sort of thing I go looking for every day. I'm not usually much for selective coloring but I can see how this works with the balloons especially. I think the second edit is much better as far as helping to distinguish the person from the load. Much clearer now. I like the street feel, with the cars and palms and buildings too...was this poor person moving house in a shopping cart??

EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT FROM FAR AWAY
  #10    Top
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM
VIP Member
lol terri..... knew you'd like it... have no clue what the heck they had, came from or even where they was going. I've had other opritunities for great candid type shots, but usually not enough of an open window to take the shot, or sometimes my being reserved refuses the shot.
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People