Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Resident Meanie-Head
Recent Photo: roz1
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Dragonflies

Took these while trying to keep my 5 year old out of our creek

used the 300mm for these. When I win the lottery, I am buying a macro lens, shooting with the 300mm for shots like this is a pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonfly5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	596  Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonfly4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	597  Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonfly2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	598  

NO SNIVELLING
www.screaminglight.com

My Kids Demon Can Beat Up Your Kids Demon!
  #2    Top
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I really dig the composition of that first one. Overall theyre all your usual quality which is always great
  #3    Top
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:25 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I'm surprised that they turned out as well as they did, Soopah, especially since you didn't use a macro lens, and I've never really seen you do macro work before. Well done!! I would have cropped the 3rd one differently, though... but everything else seems pretty much dead on. 2 thumbs up!
  #4    Top
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:45 PM
Resident Meanie-Head
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
yeah, I'm not wild about my crop on that last one, I may go back and recrop it.

I've done some macro work in the past, I just don't have a macro lens for the 300D. Yet.

Maybe when I win the big money.

NO SNIVELLING
www.screaminglight.com

Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:36 PM
Nice work Soopah, Iíve taken photos of dragon flies with a 100mm macro and it is really hard. I actually found it much easier using my 300mm lens, and even with that it was sometimes hard to get close enough. They would keep flying away on me. With the macro I would have to get really close, like maybe 12 inches and that was tough. I found it best just using the 300 with and extension tube.

Alex
  #6    Top
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:47 PM
Resident Meanie-Head
I am looking at a 100mm macro right now. Dude, I forgot how expensive those damn things are. It's crazy.

What equipment are you using? I'm a Canon girl... I could sure use some pointers in the macro lens buying area....

NO SNIVELLING
www.screaminglight.com

#7    Top
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
I have Canons 100 mm 2.8 macro. I can tell you it is truly a superb lens. The autofocus is basically useless on this lens, but there is a newer USM version if you need autofocus. To tell you the truth though, for macro I much prefer fine-tuning with manual focus anyways so that is not a factor. You might want to consider looking at the older EF model instead of the new USM one if you want to save a bit of money. From what I have heard their optical qualities are very similar. The older one also has a front element that is recessed so you donít need a lens hood, saving space and cost and mounting time. The only real advantage to the new one is it has a tripod collar but that is another added expense.
You might also consider a high quality close up lens, which will be way cheaper and screws in like a filter. It does not offer quite the quality of a macro, but it is light and cheap and results can be surprisingly good, if you donít need amazing corner performance. Hope that helps.

Alex
  #8    Top
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Resident Meanie-Head
Alex, thank you!! I have decided against the closeup filters, because I just don't think they're quite as sharp.

I am going to look into the older 100mm Macro you mentioned. I don't NEED autofocus. I've heard it's slow on the USM one anyway. thanks!!

NO SNIVELLING
www.screaminglight.com

#9    Top
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Hi Soopah, I read my post again and it was a bit misleading. The older macro does actually have autofocus but it is the older non-USM type, which is much slower. It is so slow in fact, I consider it almost useless, but since you donít need autofocus that is not an issue and you could probably get a good deal on one. Also, you use a digital SLR I think? I am not exactly sure but the smaller 1.4 sensor may mean you get a little more working distance than us film users and that will come in very handy for insects.

Alex
  #10    Top
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:59 PM
Resident Meanie-Head
No wonder I couldn't find it then

I'm having trouble finding the non USM one, so I think I'll probably just shell out the dinero for the newer version.

I can't wait! I haven't really shot macro since I bought my 300D. And I used to really love it.

NO SNIVELLING
www.screaminglight.com

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > People