Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Macro

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Recent Photo: Daisies
dragonflies

anyone else have a hard time chasing these lil buggers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	837.7 KB
ID:	81114  
  #2    Top
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Re: dragonflies

i've tried a few times, haven't had any luck. good job snapping one! I would maybe work on positioning him next time though, not put him in the center so much
  #3    Top
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

They are quite difficult. I recently was able to get a pretty good one I think due to getting a new 300mm zoom lens. I was able to get right in there while staying 1.5 meters away. It's entitled "Tight Rope" here in the Macro thread. I must say yours has a much more pleasant color to it.
  #4    Top
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Recent Photo: Daisies

thanks guys!

was taken w/ a crappy 99 dollar walmart special Sony Cyber0shot dsc s650. 7.2 megapixels of shooting powah! lol.

seriously tho the blue dragonflies sit around posing waiting for their pic to be taken.. any other ones and they've very timid.
  #5    Top
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:24 PM

The trick to shooting DF's or most winged insects is early in the morning before they warm up.
  #6    Top
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Mad Dawg
Recent Photo: GBH
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Yeah I have fun chasing these guys too. There is a place here though that there is hundreds of them. Great capture btw
  #7    Top
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Recent Photo: mrchile - Peony
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

They seem to sense when you're just about to push the shutter and away they go!! At least that's the luck I get! LOL

Glad you got one!
  #8    Top
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Nice job . I'll have to keep the tip of early morning in mind. Haven't chased any of these yet but I have tried butterflies which can be pretty elusive as well LOL.
  #9    Top
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:18 AM
Mad Dawg
Recent Photo: GBH
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmom24 View Post
Nice job . I'll have to keep the tip of early morning in mind. Haven't chased any of these yet but I have tried butterflies which can be pretty elusive as well LOL.
Thank you.
Sponsors
  #10    Top
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Recent Photo: air rifle pellets

I'd stand off with my 400 mm prime on a tripod and wait for the little rascals to land, in the sunlight, so's I could get a real fast shutter speed.

BTW, your subject is a damselfly, same order, Odonata, as dragonflies, but dragonflies can't fold their wings back over their abdomen like yours has, only damselflies can that. But in flight, they look very similar

Hack.
Canon EF 70-300 IS USM lens
Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM lens
Kenko Extension Tube Kit
Tamron 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters
Canon Ring Flash
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Macro