Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Elite Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Glam Shots

Hi All,

Okay, lay it on me! The good, the bad, the ugly! I've been having a lot of fun with portrait type shots. But I need your gentle guidance and comments to help me get a better handle on it.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	devonsm2_edited-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	85102  Click image for larger version

Name:	devonsm3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	85103  Click image for larger version

Name:	kidletsm.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	85104  

Lori

www.lusciouslens.smugmug.com
www.etsy.com/people/lusciouslens

Canon 5D Mark II
Sigma 70-300
Canon 50mm
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS (and yes it's sweet!!)
  #2    Top
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Elite Member
Re: Glam Shots

Am surprised that there's no responses here... OK, I'm not shy!

The first two have more of an advertorial feel to them than a portrait- thins is NOT a bad thing because that type of photography is in demand, and if you can do it well, you will work. I tend to be a little more old school on portraits- I don't like eyes crossing noses, I like images that are at eye-level and the person looking into the frame... Just me though. The lighting is off a tad in each- make sure that you are critical in lighting these kinds of images. Note on the middle shot the slight shadow on the right side of her nose. Should be shadow-less. Also, soften your light a bit and use the retouching tool (if you have Photoshop) to take away some of those acne scars and imperfections in her skin. Even with these, I LIKE these two shots. Really great attempt and you've got the right idea, I think.

The third shot, not so much. To me, when I first glanced at these images, it looked like she had her pants down and squatting... Not a flattering portrait and the feather things on her legs are not purposeful and distract the viewer from the REAL subject in the photo. Stick to the first two more than this kind of work.
  #3    Top
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Elite Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Pixeldawg,

Thank you! This is exactly the type of feedback I was wanting! You gave me valuable advice regarding the shadows on the nose (which I hadn't noticed at all) and other lighting issues. I had removed some zits but hadn't really thought about the scars. Great advice! The third one is definitely different, I suppose I was going for a more storytelling shot there, but hadn't thought about the fact that it looks like she's got her pants down at first glance! Haha. But on second look, that's true! Thank you Pixeldawg

Lori

www.lusciouslens.smugmug.com
www.etsy.com/people/lusciouslens

Canon 5D Mark II
Sigma 70-300
Canon 50mm
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS (and yes it's sweet!!)
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

All of the above are solid recommendations. I would also add that for me the high angle in #2 is just slightly too high. I myself appreciate the contemporary artistic take on glamor portraiture, but in the case of this one specifically I feel that it is too dramatic.

jessegrossphoto.wordpress.com
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People