Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: All Alone
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: night panorama

Wow, that's pretty cool!
You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

And now I know the real Mike Dorn too!
  #12    Top
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

This is a beautiful image Sabine. !!!
Visit me here..Room57
  #13    Top
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:15 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup4tml View Post
Wow, that's pretty cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
This is a beautiful image Sabine. !!!
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #14    Top
Old June 18th, 2016, 01:37 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Parakeets
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Sabine this is a master-piece. Have you used Tripod? Night Panorama. I have never tried that. Can you please guide me about Exifs and the process. I love to work on panorama. I was never satisfied with the result of my processing. In all my efforts I shot hand-held.
  #15    Top
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:32 AM
The One and Only
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen View Post
Sabine this is a master-piece. Have you used Tripod? Night Panorama. I have never tried that. Can you please guide me about Exifs and the process. I love to work on panorama. I was never satisfied with the result of my processing. In all my efforts I shot hand-held.
Masterpiece??? You are way too kind.

Yes, I do use a tripod for all my panoramas. A must in my eyes. I've only ever shot a pano hand-held once, and although it turned out, it's like with any shot you want in focus...

The process... (I'm terrible at explaining things).... a little harder at night, than in daytime. I basically just put my tripod on the road next to the lake, and picked a point where I wanted to start. Then, after each individual shot, I just rotated the head on my tripod a little further to the left, making sure I had 30-40% overlap for each photo.

I find panos a lot of fun. In a night situation it can be a little more frustrating, though. When you commit to a particular set of images, you might miss out on something really cool happening in another part of the sky. For that reason I don't tend to do too many of these. I like to be able to whip my camera and tripod around when I notice that some cool Northern Lights happen somewhere else.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
Sponsors
  #16    Top
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Parakeets
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Thank you Sabine. From now on I shall use tripod while working on panorama.
  #17    Top
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:44 AM
The One and Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen View Post
Thank you Sabine. From now on I shall use tripod while working on panorama.
Definitely a good idea! Looking forward to seeing some of your panos.

#18    Top
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:42 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Very cool Sabine.
I have several questions.
Do you shoot RAW? or JPEG?
Are you using Photoshop?
What lens length are you using?

Here are a few observations from my own experience with shooting panoramas.
Handheld shots can work fine in bright enough light, (daytime), that you can hold the camera steady without getting camera shake blur. I do this often with good results. It just takes some practice to get a good straight horizon.
Very low light requires a tripod, but I have done some handheld in brightly lit night city scenes with a wide angle lens.
Do not use auto focus if you can help it.
For most landscapes, small apertures work best to keep a deep Depth of Field.
I've never tried, or had the opportunity to shoot the Aurora, so you're on your own there. Experiment and see what works best.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #19    Top
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:47 AM
The One and Only

Thanks for commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
Very cool Sabine. - Thank you.

Do you shoot RAW? or JPEG? - I shoot in RAW, but for Panos Photoshop uses the JPEG file. Not sure if this has to be the case but, shooting with a Canon 6D, doing it all in basic PS CS5 steps, that seems to be my only option, as Canon 6D was added to Camera Raw 7.3, which requires CS6.

Are you using Photoshop? - Yes, I use PS CS5. As mentioned above, I use JPEG for panos. Otherwise I get to my big files in a 'roundabout' way.

What lens length are you using? - For night time shots I use a Tokina 16-28mm 2.8, mostly kept at 16mm.

#20    Top
Old June 23rd, 2016, 01:28 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

If you use Bridge to download and organize your images, you should be able to have RAW files automatically download as DNG files, which should then be workable in whatever version of Camera Raw,(CR), you have.

I use CS5 too. In my pano flow I usually adjust all the images at once in raw, then reopen them from Bridge to put them together as a pano. Then the finished product gets saved as a JPEG. CS5 has some good distortion correcting tools that most often make it easy to straighten out horizons.

I have found that the wider the lens, the more distortion I end up with in the final image. Angle and distance from subject also are a factor. If you can use the DNG files in CR, you can try the lens correction tool on them. If the lens is an older model covered by that version of CR it should help with aligning and blending.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places