Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 1st, 2017, 01:23 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
If you could give yourself a message

to when you started photography, what advice would you give yourself?

For myself, I would have said learn how to press the button quickly rather than starting in a more pray and spray shooting mode.

Yes today I do shoot in continuous mode, but short bursts that are timed much better, Learning to time your shutter lag to catch those critical moments allows you to shoot in smaller bursts and have a much high hit rate of great shots.

Often time pray and spray fills up buffers which can cause many things missed over a short span. Plus depending on the rate and sequence you may miss those critical moments (when a runner is in the air (dog or person) That moment of release in the Shot put when the person has just released the shot. Pray and spray often times will miss those critical actions.
  #2    Top
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:00 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: My best friend Becky
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: If you could give yourself a message

Now this is very interesting..

I would probably tell myself to bring the camera with me all the time not just for special occasions. I missed some pretty nice photo opportunities and you never know when and if you will have the chance to make the most of your camera and your time.

Time passed and when the first baby arrived the chances of bringing the camera with me were even smaller cause I had already so many things to carry around...
Now with two, funny enough, I decided that it's time to follow my own "missed message" and I have in my bag a fancy compact (xmas present lol)... no more missed chances and at least I can take photos and (if possible) always come back with my other camera.
  #3    Top
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:17 AM

I read this somewhere, "Never think photography is easy. Itís like poetry in that itís easy enough to make a few rhymes, but thatís not a good poem." I would give this advice to beginner me!
  #4    Top
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

When I started, there was only film. I would have told myself to stay away from cheap processing labs like photo hut. Find a good lab and be willing to spend a little extra. It took me a lot of rolls of film and too much frustration with bad prints before I figured it out.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #5    Top
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

I should have stuck to slot car racing.
Visit me here..Room57
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old January 5th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
I should have stuck to slot car racing.
HA HA HA...

Your photos are great. The world would have lost a great horror photographer if you stuck to slot-car racing.
My Gear
  #7    Top
Old January 5th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

"What is this thing...and how do you make this thing work?"

I'd be telling my 13 year old self how to use my (at-the-time) Mamiya TL500 single lens reflex 35mm camera. Secondly don't miss an opportunity to create a photo...even if you feel self-conscious doing it.

33 years of photography interest...(Am I 46 already? Geez I was in my 30s when I joined this forum) man...it's been a while... oh...and I'd tell my 13 year old self that... "Hey, you never stop learning. Photography is a vast and glorious landscape of opportunity...and you can wander your whole life-time learning things about it."
My Gear
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner