Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 19th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Recent Photo: potm5
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Urban Photography: Picture Perfect iPhone Photography

Join Jack Hollingsworth in the series of Picture Perfect as he shares some of his iPhone Photography knowledge and explains how to take the best Urban Photography using your iPhone.

Tech Notes from Jack:

1. I prefer to slight “underexpose” my urban photography for greater color saturation
• You “underexpose” by either using your exposure slider or setting your exposure reticle on a brighter part of the scene.
• The iPhone, generally speaking, has a tendency to slight “overexpose” most urban scenes, which makes them brighter.

2. Accentuate the shadows. Don’t minimize or eliminate them
• In Urban photography, shadows add depth and dimension
• Expose for the highlight areas and let your shadows go dark even black.

3. You have the perfect right to photograph any building as long as you are standing on public property
• Members of the public do not need a permit to shoot in public spaces and places
• You do need a permit or permission when shooting on private property

4. Try to find 10 iconic photographs of the city that collectively tell your urban story
• Obviously there are thousands, even millions of photo possibilities in every urban environment but start with the top, iconic best-know images
• Once I have the key-shots recorded, then I move on to more of the art-shots.

5. If you Like it…shoot it.
• Sometimes the only voice that really matters is that still small voice inside you.
• We have got to learn to stop over-thinking our photographs-shoot on impulse and intuition

6. I don’t normally shoot in any sort of “Live Filter” mode.
• If I want to add a filter then I generally do so in post, not actually while I’m shooting.
• The only exception here is when I am using the B/W “Noir” filter in the default app then I shoot with the filter on!

7. My shoot-to-share ratio is intentionally high
• I shoot way more photographs than I share via social media.
• My shoot-to-share ratio is about 100:1, often much higher.
• It’s better to properly learn to curate your work.

8. The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus work exceptionally well in low-light
• These 12MP cameras are a significant improvement over predecessors in shooting low-light subjects
• In my opinion, upgrading to either of these would be worth it just for this!

9. Better to be a Master of a few apps than mediocre at many
• I own over 400+ apps but regularly use less than 40 of them on a weekly basis
• To me it makes more sense to stick to a few basic apps and learn them extremely well!

10. Always bring back-up lightning cables with you on a shot.
• If you don’t have power than you won’t have photographs.
• I always bring 2-3 back-up lighting cables wherever I go.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials