Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:39 PM
more questions

what are exposure meters (in layman terms)and are they reliable?

what kind of lens are there?i only know of wide angled lens and telephoto lens

what are filters?

and finally...if i wanted to blur the background and focus on the subject, does that involve the aperture and lens?

hope you guys can helps. i need it! thanks in advance
  #2    Top
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:43 PM
five-oh photographer
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Check out the resources section.

Stop reading and go shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
  #3    Top
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
cool thank you
  #4    Top
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
If you want to blur a background and keep a subject in focus all you have to do is choose a smaller f/stop and that will do the trick. There are way more lenses than just Telephoto and Wide Angle, ummm there are zoom lenses, fisheye, super wide angle lenses, standards, super telephoto, autofocus, extenders are abailable. Macro lenses, soft focus lenses, tilt and shift and macro photo lenses. Those are the ones from the "Lens Wonderland" book from Canon, i'm sure there are more than that too, especiallly for the newer cameras. Anyways I'll suggest to you what everybody here suggested to me when I started asking boatloads of questions. Go out and get a copy of Understanding Exposure By Bryan Peterson. It's one of the best books you could read to help you. Good luck.

Canon AE-1 Program
  #5    Top
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
thank you TheHaroldMeister! your advice is very helpful. plus i will get that book. thanks again. didn't realise how many lens there were, silly me!
  #6    Top
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HaroldMeister
If you want to blur a background and keep a subject in focus all you have to do is choose a smaller f/stop and that will do the trick. There are way more lenses than just Telephoto and Wide Angle, ummm there are zoom lenses, fisheye, super wide angle lenses, standards, super telephoto, autofocus, extenders are abailable. Macro lenses, soft focus lenses, tilt and shift and macro photo lenses. Those are the ones from the "Lens Wonderland" book from Canon, i'm sure there are more than that too, especiallly for the newer cameras. Anyways I'll suggest to you what everybody here suggested to me when I started asking boatloads of questions. Go out and get a copy of Understanding Exposure By Bryan Peterson. It's one of the best books you could read to help you. Good luck.
smaller f/stop will be F8?
  #7    Top
Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Senior VIP Member
F/stops are openings in the lens diaphram, the larger the f/stop the smaller the opening. F/8 is really in the middle and is smaller than an F stop of say F/2.8, in terms of the opening.

Canon AE-1 Program
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101