Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:52 AM
Questions~

(If I posted in the wrong thread, please feel free to move)

First off I wanted to thank everyone for all the warm welcomes and critiques. It was getting really old seeing and hearing "Oh, I love that one"...or "I dont care for that one"

My eyes have been opened to all kinds of things I never knew about because of this site. I definitely am going to take an online class to start, and then see where I go from there. Because I have only done photography as a hobby and haven't taken classes I need to get familiar with more technical things. I do have several questions and statements in hopes that I may be lead in the right direction...

1. I really love animals and nature. Is it true never work with animals and children??? How, if I'm not crazy...do I get these kinds of jobs or get my foot in the door? I'd love to take photos for zoos, parks, etc.

2. As a hobbyist, I have several really nice natural photos , I'm told there is a chance a gallery may be interested in my work ... how would I go about propositioning or showing them? (I'm a full time business owner & do not have a portfolio)

3. If I have a different or unique idea for photos that I dont see much of, or none at all, how do I know if they will be interesting or appreciated by anyone but myself?

4. What percentage of photography is altered? I love my digital camera and also have a semi, high end film only camera. I'm getting the vibe from people around me that natural pics are a thing of the past and I need to superimpose aliens and air force one to have a great picture. Whats up with that?

These are questions that I most likely could answer if I had taken classes, but I feel it better to ask beforehand. Kinda like wanting to be a scientist but stinking at math. I want to make sure getting serious with photography is right for me.
  #2    Top
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:58 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Walter's Gate
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Questions~

!st....never work with children or animals is an old show biz expression......mainly because the cute kid or animal will upstage you.....for the photographer,m or parent, sometimes they just won't sit still......
2nd...not sure what you mean by natural photograph...but post a few here for opinions and then critique and see if you think they are ready for the gallery.....
3rd...the photo is in the eye of the photographer and you must shoot to capture your artist sense.....does it really matter if it is mainstream...who knows maybe it is the next "best" thing....take snap shots for your friends and photographs for the artist in YOU......
4th....all processed photos are altered in one way or another either by the lab or during post processing....most will tweek it just a bit to match what they saw in their artists eye....a bump in contrast....and other editing....don't think most of us add aliens and the debate goes on over when a photo stops being a photo.....but like a writer edits words to make the story the photographer will tell the story of the picture in its best light......and if the intent is abstract and full of aliens then that is their art......it's your story....feel free to tell it......

I'm sure you will get other opinions as well.....but then that is why we are all here....isn't it?..........see you around the Corner

If You Have'nt Grown Up By Age 30....You Don't Have To!!....(unknown...but written On Stone...honest!)

Gear
Canon XSi
Canon EF-S 18-55 IS Lens
Sigma AF 70-300mm 4-APO DG II Macro
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

"and my Trusty Little Snappy"
Kodak "Pink" M753 EASYSHARE
"and a Bean Bag, In Tribute to My DAD"

How do I become a Premiere Member? | How do I upload to the Corner Galleries?
How do I enter a Photograph of the Month Contest? | How do I enter a Contest Corner Challenge?
Photography Corner Map | Chatroom
  #3    Top
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I agree with everything Laurie has said...I'd like to add to #4:

Even in film the images are processed in the darkroom so it's mute to say that film was all natural. Of course there are limits to what can physically be done to a negative but all your top photographers used some sort of darkroom editing before (and even after) processing the negative. Ansel Adams was very open about what he did in the darkroom, you should read and/or view some of his biographies...My personal take is to get it right in the camera first and then use your processing to enhance an already great image and I actually think it is expected of us!

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #4    Top
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: fairprint2
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

All things well said. In response to getting your work in a gallery, there is no getting around a portfolio. If you are serious about getting your work displayed you need to approach the manager or owner with a portfolio in hand. They won't listen to "my friends think I'm really good", or "here's my website, you can view my work there". They have people clamoring to display and you have to go in looking and acting professional and that means a well printed, well put together portfolio.

And, as previously stated, photography is an art. Your vision is what matters most, if you like your image as natural as possible, go for it. Not everyone will dig it. If you want to add an alien (although I will refuse to look at it if there is one) or Air Force one, go for it. Not everyone will dig it.
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM

I've been trying to get it to a game plan for a portfolio, I agree there is no getting around it. Those are a must! I'm struggling on how much mainstream and how many non mainstream photos to use, how many, what size, etc. I was of course kidding about implementing an alien but in all honesty I have seen some really nice photos that are altered so much that that look nothing like the original, when there was nothing major wrong with it from the start.

As mentioned before I'll start a class soon and a lot of questions will be answered there as well. Its always nice to have a general idea of what I'm getting into and what other peoples thoughts are =)
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101