Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 26th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Recent Photo: potm5
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Speedlights vs Studio Strobes?

Which flash is better and why?

Speedlight vs studio strobes? When it comes to off camera flash photography people often find this to be a very confusing subject.

Generally speaking, Monolights are more powerful than speedlites. Speedlights cost less than monolights. Monolights recycle faster and let you shoot longer bursts. Speedlites are smaller and more portable.

Monolights are predominantly manual only, however companies like Profoto, Godox and Adorama are coming out with TTL Monolight’s if you are willing to shell out the cash.

Speedlights are predominately automatic and TTL – through the lens, however most also offer a manual option and many manufacturers still offer manual only Speedlites which Joe Edelman personally prefers and these manual ones cost much less.

Monolight’s usually have more modifiers available, but many companies are now making adapters or Speedlight specific modifiers like the Roque Flashbenders. Speedlights will allow you to stop very fast action and even shoot at very high shutter speeds. Monolights – not so much on the fast action, but some of the pricier units will allow you to work at higher shutter speeds.
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Re: Speedlights vs Studio Strobes?

I have just found this conclusion "If someone is just learning flash photography and won't be working in a dedicated studio, it would be better to start with a simple inexpensive speedlight kit."
  #3    Top
Old August 12th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Junior VIP Member
Re: Speedlights vs Studio Strobes?

If in a studio setting (formal studio or temp on location) I prefer studio monolights.

- There is usually a consistency of light output;
- A/C powered so no need to break down to change batteries.

Price-wise good deals can be gotten through B&H (Impact) and Adorama (Flashpoint).

I purchased a set of Impacts and later a set of Flashpoints (under $300/set) to do church directory portraits on location. I use an inexpensive camera mounted flash to trip the studio lights. I also use 36" gold reflectors.

Some monolight kits can be had for about $300. Sometimes sales can bring the cost down even further.

Last edited by lucian; August 12th, 2017 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling, additional ino
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting