Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#21    Top
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Help: A guide to shooting better sunset photos

Erik, one point you neglected to mention is that when shooting sunsets, it's often best to wait 15-30 minutes AFTER the sun actually sets, unless there are interesting cloud formations on the horizon. you can get dramatic shots before actual sundown if the sky is right, but usually you get shots with lens flare and a brassy, overly bright exposure. more often than not, the best colors appear some time after the sun's gone below the horizon. grad ND filters can be useful as well, but are usually only worthwhile if you have a foreground you want to emphasize.

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #22    Top
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Not too long ago I picked up my first set of filters, come Cokin ND's and GND's and as Erik said they create some color issues, mainly when stacking. They are working for me now but as soon as I can I will be upgrading to the Lee filters.
  #23    Top
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:54 AM
Spammer

Thanks a lot for such an interesting and informative post. I can now take some beautiful sunset photos.Thanks to your post.
Sponsors
  #24    Top
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thanks for the article Erik.
  #25    Top
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

If anyone has questions don't be shy, just ask because that's what the Corner is here for.
  #26    Top
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:23 AM

I got my first GND about a year and a half ago, it's a cokin and for the money, you can't beat 'em in my mind. For a long time before I picked it up, I would spend hours in photoshop blending exposure after exposure. Finally it just got to be too much and I picked up the filter to try out. I almost never leave home without it now.

BUT, it does create some odd colors as Erik and Scott mentioned, so I was back in PS, correcting colors and blending/masking adjustments layers and all that again. Eventually, I was in a small used camera shop (stacks and piles of film equipment everywhere) and I found a cokin graduated blue filter. I'm not sure they sell them new anymore but haven't checked. For $10 I decided to give it a try.

Stacking it with the GND (the cokin holder let's you places up to 3 filters in it) I get a lot less color shift and the shift I do get is in a better direction than without it. Now, I never user one without the other!

I don't know if you'll find these film era filters new anymore, but keep an eye out for them in your local used shops, I'm spending a lot less time in photoshop than i used to!
  #27    Top
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:36 PM

very nice guide
  #28    Top
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:42 AM

Thanks!
  #29    Top
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Recent Photo: Ft. Lauderdale Rising

Wonderful article. Thank you so much for this. I take so many sunrise and sunset photos and it is good to have some advice.
  #30    Top
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:52 AM

Thank you , that is a very helpful article.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes