Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 13th, 2016, 05:35 AM
How are Nikon cameras in terms of durability?

I was thinking to buy a Nikon camera, so was just asking for your suggestions. How is Nikon camera in case of durability?
  #2    Top
Old July 13th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: How are Nikon cameras in terms of durability?

D300s --100,000+ clicks and still shooting
D4--------300,000+ clicks and still shooting
D750 recent purchase

Both the D4 and d300s had major work from water damage for electronics but as far as I know have their original shutters.
  #3    Top
Old July 14th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

agiledogs; mine must see light use compared to yours. I'm at about 35,000. And planning on getting a second D300s. (can't afford to pick up the D500). Besides, I'm having too much fun acquiring Lee filters.

OP (shumi31): Nikon cameras are durable; I've got the D300s and it's built like a tank. The D4 even more so. If you're going for the pro models; the shutters are built to take a lot of abuse (short of dropping your camera on a regular basis). If you're going for the consumer grade, those shutters are rated for 65,000 shutter clicks, but will more often than not go over them by a considerable margin. So yes. Either consumer or professional grade cameras will be good solid cameras for the money.
My Gear
  #4    Top
Old August 5th, 2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
D300s --100,000+ clicks and still shooting
D4--------300,000+ clicks and still shooting
D750 recent purchase

Both the D4 and d300s had major work from water damage for electronics but as far as I know have their original shutters.
Wow thanks for the review, it was much needed.
  #5    Top
Old August 5th, 2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Animal View Post
agiledogs; mine must see light use compared to yours. I'm at about 35,000. And planning on getting a second D300s. (can't afford to pick up the D500). Besides, I'm having too much fun acquiring Lee filters.

OP (shumi31): Nikon cameras are durable; I've got the D300s and it's built like a tank. The D4 even more so. If you're going for the pro models; the shutters are built to take a lot of abuse (short of dropping your camera on a regular basis). If you're going for the consumer grade, those shutters are rated for 65,000 shutter clicks, but will more often than not go over them by a considerable margin. So yes. Either consumer or professional grade cameras will be good solid cameras for the money.
Thank you for your suggestion, now I will go for it.
  #6    Top
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

My first DLSR was the D80, 2 years of daily shooting as I was a beginner and no issues till my wife got it tail slapped by my pitbull into the jacuzzi. It was replaced with another D80 in 09, the D80 is still going strong with my son and daughter using it. I also have a D700 I bought in 2010 that is still being used daily by my son. I ended up buying another one as I gave the original to my son for his bday.
So yea, very dependable cameras and take beautiful captures.
99% of these are from those cameras, the other 1% is camera phones lol.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcanseco/
  #7    Top
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I started with a Nikon F (film) in the early 1960s, then 2 Nikon-F2's with a motor drive, then my 1st digital a D70, moved up to a D300, 2 years later a D700 (full frame) and gave my brother-in-law the D70 (still working) and 3 years I ago purchased a D800 (full frame) which pushes image quality to that of a medium format film camera. If they fell apart with average use I would have never stuck with Nikon. 6 years ago I stepped on a Lacrosse ball at a game pitched face FWD (D300 - Nikon 80-400mm lens) that destroyed the lens, 2 parts & many pieces, that I figured could not be repaired (was restored to full factory specs) and had no damage to the camera body, had it checked and cleaned. Been a Happy Nikon owner for many a year...
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment