Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Silent Waters
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I'm a budget person too But never come saying that a GND and blending gets the same. It is quite different and there are a lot of different things in which a GND can produce a better result than exposure blending and might actually be the only way to archive the effect you are looking for (an example is longer shutterspeeds needing to be selectively darkened to work).

I do exposure blending for some photos as well though, and it produces the more HDR like effect.
  #12    Top
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I agree that, if possible, a set of GNDs is usually the best way to go. However, those with point-and-shoot cameras usually don't have this option (unless the company makes them specifically for the model of camera), so the 2-exposure method, while complicated, will produce excellent results with practice. I've seen some amazing stuff done with this method that I would've guessed used a GND...unfortunately I won't post them because they're not mine

Oh and sorry for the misunderstanding, when I said "blending" I didn't mean the traditional HDR version of blending. I'm talking about having 2 layers. The one on the bottom is exposed for the sky, while the one on the top is exposed for the FG. You just erase the sky on the top layer so the bottom layer shows through. I agree, HDR is MUCH different from GND
  #13    Top
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
No you are partly right here, but I did know what you meant about the blending though Still produces a different result but it works if you don't have the option.
  #14    Top
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
By the way this is a very good beginner's guide for this subject, sound advice all around. I wasn't trying to overshadow that with my little suggestion
  #15    Top
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorableKoala View Post
By the way this is a very good beginner's guide for this subject, sound advice all around. I wasn't trying to overshadow that with my little suggestion
It's useful for everyone I think, I even use it sometimes
  #16    Top
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Erik..what do you think of the Tiffen ND filters.
  #17    Top
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Recent Photo: Two Ladies
Thanks Eric. From the above posts I assume you're a new mod? Don't know how new any more, but congrats anyway. Somehow, I've missed it.
  #18    Top
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital2006 View Post
^ Marty, you read my mind!

Thanks for posting this Erik
  #19    Top
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital2006 View Post
Don't have Tiffen over here so I can't make up any impressions. From what I've heard however, they seem to be nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Thanks Eric. From the above posts I assume you're a new mod? Don't know how new any more, but congrats anyway. Somehow, I've missed it.
Yeah, been a mod since the application time a little while ago. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott111184 View Post
^ Marty, you read my mind!

Thanks for posting this Erik
No problems
Sponsors
  #20    Top
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Re: Help: A guide to shooting better sunset photos

Thanks for the great article. Very informative!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes