Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:38 PM
Help with looking for a camera for newbie

Hi there,

What would be a great camera for a newbie, my budget would be $200-$300..I would like to use it both indoor and outdoor...I would like a few bells and whistles.. Any help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks in Advance..
  #2    Top
Old January 21st, 2015, 11:58 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Help with looking for a camera for newbie

What type of camera are you looking for.

Point and shoot
dslr (interchangeable lens)

film or digital?
  #3    Top
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:11 AM

Hi there,
I'm looking for a digital or for dslr..Which of the two is the better one? I'm new at this..Thanks for the reply..
  #4    Top
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:36 AM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

For your budget you are not going to be able to get much in the dslr or other interchangeable lens cameras new. I would look at KEH or the used departments at either adorama or B&H. With all 3 used departments pay attention to condition as you don't want to get something only good for replacement parts. Look for something in the excellent range.

the Sony A7 has been getting excellent reviews and you would also do fine with something like an older rebel Ti of Nikon d90.

The problem though again is your budget...that might get you a body...then you would need to determine the lens you want/need and spend additional money for that.

The same will be true for any Interchangeable lens camera.

I have not looked at point and shoot cameras for quite a while, but again I would look at the major brands, Canon, Nikon,Pentax or Olympus.

Please note it would be better to perhaps save a little more and ensure you get a camera that will capture the images you want to capture, than to spend less money on a camera you will end up being disappointed.
  #5    Top
Old January 22nd, 2015, 01:36 AM

I guess I would have to spend some more which is ok..I will try maybe up to $600.00 for dslr...What would be a good camera that would be suitable for me? thanks for the help and thanks for the reply..
  #6    Top
Old January 22nd, 2015, 08:40 AM

Any of the entry level canon or nikon dslr kits. They both provide good lenses to get you started. I would spend some time though at a local retailer handling both and using th menus and choose the one more comfortable for you.
  #7    Top
Old January 22nd, 2015, 07:45 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I am going to throw you a little bit of a curve ball. I am going to recommend to you a used Pentax K01 with it's da 40mm XS lens. You can get it for your 200-300 dollar range if you don't get in a big hurry. I bought one just to get the lens and considered the camera a freebie.

It doesn't get a lot of love in the press. However there are some dedicated shooters who love it. It doesn't have a viewfinder. You use the 3" lcd screen on the back to compose the shot. you can use every Pentax lens ever produced including all of the old Kmount and M42 screw mount manual focus lenses.

The 40mm that comes with it is a corker and is worth the price of the combo in my opinion.

It's boxy and looks like a little brick but it has a darn fine sensor and in body stabilization that works on all lenses.

Bottom line is it's a fun camera that costs next to nothing used.

it has one drawback for me. If your intent is to chase your children around and photograph them or try to photograph live action sports it is far from the best choice, however if you are looking for a camera to take normal landscape and cityscapes and such it is a steal at the price it brings.

I would never sell mine for what I paid for it

Just some food for thought if money is an issue.

Eric
  #8    Top
Old January 25th, 2015, 05:52 AM

You can go for any entry level Nikon Camera. May be the following link will be of any help
http://www.gizmag.com/dslr-camera-en...de-2014/34406/
  #9    Top
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:50 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara Falls sunset
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

As the others said, any entry level Nikon, Canon will do the trick. I'm a Pentax man myself, and also recommend the K-50 (~$450 for body with a kit lens). Also the Sony A58 is on sale right now at B&H, $200 off regular price, so that's a good deal while it lasts.

My Smugmug
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment