Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: hauz khas, new delhi
struck by awe !

Posting after a long time.... Shot these in September last year on a visit to a village in northern India. The dead and broken tree so fascinated me with its form and with the fact that it stood all alone ,surrounded by lush green life all around, that i spent two hours shooting the scene , trying different settings, different vantage points, instead of the few minutes i had initially intended.
Out of a variety of shots, i picked up these two, edited them to the best of my capability and entered them in different competitions. Of course i came nowhere near winning....
I experimented with the WB settings as well and got different responses to the varied color casts. Though i personally like the warmer tones in the first one , quite a few people I showed , preferred the second one.

critique away, people. (not only on the color casts)

# 1

# 2

#2    Top
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: struck by awe !

I like both shots in terms of Color and composition, but the sky is so overexposed that it really takes away from the subject. Its so white and blown its blinding. I think this would have greatly benefited using an HDR approach of several shots at different exposure compensation levels and then stacking them in post allowing the best qualities of each come through.
  #3    Top
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

Nice composition but difficult lighting conditions. Sky is overexposed to my taste as well.

Native: Srinagar, Kashmir
  #4    Top
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Elite Member

thanks Clark and Basit, for looking and critiquing. i cant deny that the sky in both the shots IS overexposed and i could have either reduced the effect or changed the sky altogether during pp, but the concept i had in mind was that 'when one is broken, one sees the light'. so the light falling on the tree had to be on the brighter side...maybe i got carried away.
  #5    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

Hmmm. Not a bad idea, a wise thought when I think about it. Imagewise, I would have rays falling on it rather than the bright sky. I know with the setting and consitions you had it was just not possible. Cheers!

Native: Srinagar, Kashmir
  #6    Top
Old February 11th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Parakeets
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye_q View Post
thanks Clark and Basit, for looking and critiquing. i cant deny that the sky in both the shots IS overexposed and i could have either reduced the effect or changed the sky altogether during pp, but the concept i had in mind was that 'when one is broken, one sees the light'. so the light falling on the tree had to be on the brighter side...maybe i got carried away.
Good idea. But you can experiment with the sky a bit. I prefer the second shot.
  #7    Top
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Elite Member

thank you for the insight, Soumen......
  #8    Top
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I can see why you chased this so much, Mayank. I like the shot where the tree fills the frame more. It's a stronger composition. The light isn't as good from that angle, though. It's going to seem cliche, but a blown sky is a lot more forgiveable in black and white. You've got a nice shape here, too, so black and white might really work to emphasize that. Of course, there's also always HDR.

Regardless, I give you a lot of credit for really working this scene. All too often we just take the quick nice shot or two, and miss the great shot two or three steps away. Good for you!

flickr Photostream
  #9    Top
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Elite Member

thanks Tim for driving the point home......at times one becomes so obsessed with the subject in one's photo that one chooses to ignore the flaws that are actually spoiling the picture. i did exactly that. the light IS blinding and distracts one away from the tree...
so i followed your suggestion ( about converting to B&W) , wrecked my brain for a couple of hours at photoshop and came up with these results. i found them to be more visually appealing than the colored one. . out of the three, i like # 2 the best.
so guys, are these b&w conversions any better than the colored version? please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awestruck copy1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	613.7 KB
ID:	87953  Click image for larger version

Name:	awestruck copy2.jpg
Size:	599.0 KB
ID:	87954  Click image for larger version

Name:	awestruck copy3.jpg
Size:	594.0 KB
ID:	87955  
  #10    Top
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I like the color of the first one better with that drop the yellow ever so slightly. Also it's a good candidate for a sky replacement or photoshop some clouds in. Black and white rarely works with that much foliage as you wind up with just to many midtones.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes