Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Elite VIP Member
Recent Photo: 06/14/09 Chase_6
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Graduated Wine Filter...

Our store recently got in a shipment of graduated wine filters. I have never used such a thing, but man do I like the results . This shot was taken with and without the grad wine filter. Turns any bland old sky into something, and it makes awesome sunsets look epic!

Enjoy!

-Ben

Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: Nikkor 18-35mm D
Focal Length: 21mm
Exposure: 1/30, f/11, ISO:200
Exposure mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
SLIK 700DX tripod
SLIK SBH-280E head
Sunpak Graduated wine filter
Cable release
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web_14.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	90948  Click image for larger version

Name:	web_2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	90949  

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then what are the one's that render us speechless...

My Gear

http://www.bdjphoto.com
My Photo Blog
My Storm Chasing Blog
  #2    Top
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:47 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Graduated Wine Filter...

Very nie shot, but too love the filter on. Very cool. What's the price tag on one of them?

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #3    Top
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I love the colors in both and the composition it great!
  #4    Top
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

"...graduated WINE filters...". Did you mean graduated density filters? I looked it up and see that Sunpak calls their rose colored screw on filter a "wine graduated tone" filter. I don't mean to be a kill-joy with your new toy but:
  • the 1st attachment looks to have employed some other type of graduated neutral density (GND) filter, although misplaced so that the rocks are obviously too dark and the sky is uneven and actually much darker than its reflection (normally reflection about 1 stop darker, ie less reflected light than source).
  • the 2nd attachment has a better positioned (rotated actually) filter
I refer to screw-on GND filters as Split density filters, ie you have NO adjustment capabilities re positioning of where the transition is other than rotating the transition line (note the diagonally lower left to upper right in 1st vs upper left to lower right on 2nd...better matching shoreline). Generally, compositions are not optimal if the horizon is mid height. Split density filters are specific to a lens size, ie its thread diameter. Use on another lens, unless coincidentally the same filter size, requires another filter(s). Personally, I find them far too limited. The solution is to use rectangular GNDs, either handheld or within a slotted filter holder. There are a number of manufactures of both GND filters and holders (Cokin, Hitech, Lee, Sing-Ray, Tiffen, etc), made either of optical grade resin or glass (Tiffen...wouldn't own one, too fragile), and available in several rectangular dimensions ranging from 85 or 100mm widths and 100-150mm lengths. With true GNDs you not only have the ability to rotate the filter but also have the option to concurrently raise or lower the positioning of the transition zone to match optimal composition of your scene.

While colored filters allow you to capture "unique" images in camera, frankly such effects are done much better in post processing, ie better control re density and positioning on it's own layer.
  #5    Top
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I like it Ben - would be fun to play around with.

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

You have to be careful when you use any filter that adds color to your image. The wine filter adds some need coor to this scene, however it gives the image an oversaturated look and an unreal colored sky. I have a graduated blue and a graduated gold filter and seldom use them because the result is just TOO much. Notice I did say seldom; in certain situations they can come in handy and save a dull scene.