Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM
New York City

Im going to nyc this weekend, and I want to take photos, but Im very new at taking photos of a city.

Any advice on what would make a good photo in the city?
Please give me as much advice as you can. I dont know when Ill be able to return
  #2    Top
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Climbing
If you're going to New York, I'd suggest you start with the laws, first...there was controversy recently about a law they were thinking of enacting or had enacted that either severely limited or prohibited photography on the streets without some sort of permit...so you might want to check that out or be careful shooting while you're there...I may be wrong on that, tho...
  #3    Top
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoico View Post
If you're going to New York, I'd suggest you start with the laws, first...there was controversy recently about a law they were thinking of enacting or had enacted that either severely limited or prohibited photography on the streets without some sort of permit...so you might want to check that out or be careful shooting while you're there...I may be wrong on that, tho...
I Heard about that too but i was recently there and took some photos so i think everything is pretty much open now..
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM
OK... There is no law against taking photos in NYC - that was shot down.

The only think you can't photograph in the city is the entrance to the tunnels (Midtown, Lincoln, Holland, etc) or the bridges. You can however take photos of the bridges themselves and from the bridges.

A basic rule of thumb is that if there's a sign up at the entrance (camera with an line through it) don't try it. The cops will probably let you go, but it's nto worth the hassle.

The only other thing you can't photograph is inside private property. So you can't walk into a building lobby and take photos.

There's really no other exceptions - even the subways are ok to shoot in.

BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR CAMERA. I love NYC with every fiber of my being, and would never imagine living anywhere else, but there is crime here, especially to tourists, especially in crowded streets and subways. (very easy to get away.) Make sure you keep your camera close at all times.

C & C Welcome

My Site - GraspTheMoment.com
  #5    Top
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Opps...

It's hard to suggest what to shoot, because I don't know what you're looking for or what your itenerary is.

The way I learned the city, when I was 12 yrs old, was basically pick a street and following either North to South or East to West (river to river) 90% of Manhatten is a grid, so it's impossible to get lost. 9th street is next to 10th street, etc, etc, etc. And downtown, where that changes, the streets are so small that if you walk a block or two you'll be unlost again.

And ask for directions - we're really not that bad.

Oh - and please don't take any photos of MY city that are better than the ones I take.

C & C Welcome

My Site - GraspTheMoment.com
  #6    Top
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Climbing
THanks for clearing that up...it is kind of old news, but I wasn't sure what the final verdict was, but that came to mind in this case...