Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:43 AM
camera care

Hey everyone--just wondering how to go about caring for my camera (minolta X370-n). I figure a lens cloth and a can of compressed air should do it. I also am gonna look for a local shop and see about getting it really clean. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time--
  #2    Top
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: waverley_man
A lens cloth is a good idea, but be sure to wash it or replace it fairly frequently. They don't take long to get greasy from being held in your hands! Only use it when really needed though, as the more you wipe the lens the more chance there is of scratching it.

As for compressed air, I'd rather use a Giottos rocket blower. They have nearly the same pressure output, but don't need recharging with new cans of air and they don't leave any residue like a compressed air can does.
  #3    Top
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
it sounds obvious, but a bag is a great accessory. it prevents things from getting on your beloved while you're not looking, and from family members, pets, etc. from damaging it by knocking it to the floor. i recommend Lowepro bags. also make sure you leave the little silica packet that comes with it in there. it removes moisture from the bag that damages cameras.
  #4    Top
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
make sure you dont store your camera where theres excess moisture and temperatures that range from both ends of the weather spectrum (freezing cold - boiling hot). Also if your not using your camera for extended periods of time, take out your batteries.
Hope that helps.

peace
  #5    Top
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ClicK*
Also if your not using your camera for extended periods of time, take out your batteries.
could you define "extended periods of time"? do you mean a week, or a month-ish? no one's ever clearly defined this for me
  #6    Top
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Tell you the truth Im not too sure what "Extended periods of time" would be lol.
For me I usually just take my batteries out when I know Im going away and not bringing my camera or when I know Im not going to be using it very often.

peace
  #7    Top
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Elite Member
When I'm not using my Minolta X700 it stays in my camera bag with silica gel packets. I've had it for 24 years and have never had a problem with it. As for lens cleaning I use a good quality blower brush and when needed lens cleaning fluid and tissue. You should not have to remove the batteries unless it is stored for over 6 months. The contacts for the battery are quite rugged and won't corrode before that ammount of time.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101