Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 10th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Elite VIP Member
Recent Photo: 06/14/09 Chase_6
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Moonset: White Sands...

One of my favorite moments during the White Sands trip was after the sun set below the horizon and there was an orange glow behind the silhouette of the mountains. When the skies cleared a waxing crescent moon was gently shining on the white sand dunes. It was so peaceful. Would love some feedback on this one. I have been working hard over this past year trying a new workflow and post processing techniques and I finally feel like I have them down now. I basically break it down into 3 components: The first is balancing and blending. This includes basic RAW processing and blending exposures (if necessary). I have started to reprocess additional RAW image for shadows and highlights of the image. Then using a series of targeted luminosity masks I am able to blend the exposures. Next is contrast and color using multiple layers of curves, dodging and burning, and contrast. Then I do color adjustments. The final step is details: this includes sharpening, noise reduction, and object removal. This "building" or "stacking" processing style has really helped me slow down during my post and appreciate the process. I almost equate it to hand developing film or prints, there's just something magical about seeing the image appear before your eyes. I am also including a screenshot showing all the layers used to make up this image. Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Ben

Camera: Nikon D800
Lens: Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR lens
1/3sec, f/5.6 ISO: 125
Exposure mode: manual

PP: Processed in Nikon Capture NX2 for 3 different exposues, blended using luminosity masks, contrast, color, sharpening, and noise reductions in PS CC 2015.5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web_11.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	756.5 KB
ID:	93962  Click image for larger version

Name:	screen capture.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	93963  

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then what are the one's that render us speechless...

My Gear

http://www.bdjphoto.com
My Photo Blog
My Storm Chasing Blog
  #2    Top
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Moonset: White Sands...

Ben,first off let me say these images are very pleasing to the eye. Looking at your work flow from the screen shot you put a lot of time in this one. Let me just say it paid off. Excellent job.
  #3    Top
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Elite VIP Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital2006 View Post
Ben,first off let me say these images are very pleasing to the eye. Looking at your work flow from the screen shot you put a lot of time in this one. Let me just say it paid off. Excellent job.
Thank you, Marty. I was quite pleased with how this one turned out. I feel very confident with this new editing style and truthfully, its a lot of fun for me. I used to dread editing but I think it was I never got the result I wanted, this process helps me reproduce what I saw and what I felt at the time of the shot. Granted with some creative license, of course. I appreciate your feedback.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then what are the one's that render us speechless...

My Gear

My Photo Blog
My Storm Chasing Blog
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old October 23rd, 2016, 01:34 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Parakeets
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Great.
  #5    Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

That is certainly a lot of layers on a 36MP file. what was your final .psd size?

As for the image it is simply stunning. Great color and tonality
  #6    Top
Old February 15th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Elite VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen View Post
Great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
That is certainly a lot of layers on a 36MP file. what was your final .psd size?

As for the image it is simply stunning. Great color and tonality
Not sure why I never responded to these post. I apologize for that. Anyways, thank you Soumen for your compliment. And agiledogs it was a very large file with all the layers and different channels. The final PSD is 1.93GB. I have a panorama I shot at sunset that took 15 3 stop bracketed exposures (45 total) blended and edited and it weighs in at 7.67GB! And don't get me started on my star trail images LOL. Thank you for your comment.

My Gear

My Photo Blog
My Storm Chasing Blog
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes