Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Recent Photo: Celebrating Life!
Race You

One of my very first sports photos. Nikon D3000, f/7.1, Exposure 0.005s (1.200), ISO 100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Aug 05 054.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	85630  
  #2    Top
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Race You

I love the subject matter. The timing and composition of the shot is also very good. Its nice treat with both the owner's and dog's legs being up in the air.

However the overall shot is slightly out of focus. With the action of catching the feet in the air you would want the dog and the person sharp. If you were capturing their motion then the beach and water should be sharp.

If you are panning the shot you would be going for sharpness on the walkers and streaking in the background.

Keep em coming. Dogs can be a lot of fun and a big challenge to shoot.
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks for your advice. I will try to keep that in mind for future sports shots.
  #4    Top
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I grabbed the EXIF:

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3000
Image Date: 2010-08-05 19:48:41 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 300.0mm (35mm equivalent: 450mm)
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

You'll get used to me doing this . .

But an easy rule of thumb to remember when using long lenses is that you should try not to let the shutter speed fall below 1/the focal length.

So here, I wouldn't be happy with a shutter speed below 1/300 (or even 1/450 if you are going to be ultra careful)

This rule does change if you have any form of stabilisation system but it's an easy rule of thumb.

So the choice here if you wanted to keep the depth of field would be to bump the ISO up - with most newer DSLR's you can get away with a lot of increase in the ISO without sacrificing quality greatly.

I hope that this helps?

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #5    Top
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Andy, I'm sure I will have to read this over and over and it will eventually make sense to me...lol. The subjects were running on the beach, not walking, so I was panning and as you probably guessed, I think I used a standard setting. I will definitely take your advice and try it with a higher shutter speed! Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate you taking the time!
  #6    Top
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

If I recall correctly, the D3000 has 3 fps burst mode. The toughest part about sports photography is that you have to fire off a round of shots on burst mode. That way you can capture a series of photographs that out of several you hopefully capture the best shot. You want to pan the camera if you are looking to capture the runners (including the dog) in freeze frame. If you want to capture the motion, you use a slightly lower shutterspeed, while letting the subjects run into frame. Keep the camera ahead of the motion and then trigger the shutter when you have them approaching the right posture that you want to capture. One of the three frames should capture the moment that you want. And if none of them do...then move the camera ahead of the action and try again.
My Gear
  #7    Top
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Animal View Post
If I recall correctly, the D3000 has 3 fps burst mode. The toughest part about sports photography is that you have to fire off a round of shots on burst mode. That way you can capture a series of photographs that out of several you hopefully capture the best shot. You want to pan the camera if you are looking to capture the runners (including the dog) in freeze frame. If you want to capture the motion, you use a slightly lower shutterspeed, while letting the subjects run into frame. Keep the camera ahead of the motion and then trigger the shutter when you have them approaching the right posture that you want to capture. One of the three frames should capture the moment that you want. And if none of them do...then move the camera ahead of the action and try again.
Thanks Andy, that's very helpful. I will take that into account next opportunity I get!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals