Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Babraham Lincoln
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Advice from Newborn photographers

I have been using window light exclusively for these little bundles of joy and I am now looking to buy some continuous light sources. Any recommendations???
  #2    Top
Old August 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Advice from Newborn photographers

Hi Callady10! I too use natural window light but before that I have used a cheap lightset from a company that I don't even think exists anymore and just turned off the flash function to use as continuous. In the beginning I also aimed the flashstrobe to the window so the flash would spill on my baby giving a nice diffused and even lighting effect. Alienbees is a good source for strobes and lights. Adorama and B&H have some pretty good lighting systems too. Good luck with it!!

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #3    Top
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Elite Member

My recommendation is to get strobes. More expensive, but MUCH less heat and easier on the subjects as well. They are also more consistent over the life of the unit, too. All of this will add up to higher quality images with a better experience for your customers.

Cordially,

Mark Lent
  #4    Top
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I have been using my canon flash systems off camera. I'm learning through strobist.blogspot.com and there's SOOOO much you can do with just a couple of strobes and wireless triggers or even with the PC cord *CHEAP accessory you can get at adorama, b&h, or amazon.

Alienbees has great products too and the prices are reasonable.

If you need any help just ask.

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #5    Top
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I had a set of Alien Bee's (AB 800 and AB 400) and was very happy with them!! They are super easy to set up and use
  #6    Top
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Babraham Lincoln
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Thank you everyone!! I just purchased and started using an inexpensive starter kit of continous lights. I couldn't justify the price tag of some of the more expensive kits yet. I am looking forward to playing around with them. When I feel more confident that I understand the properties of light. I'll fork out the big bucks

Here are a couple from my first attempt with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	291912_300241583319667_253196391357520_1300364_400671365_n.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	86315  Click image for larger version

Name:	295989_300329186644240_253196391357520_1300838_653363213_n.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	86316  Click image for larger version

Name:	305379_300231059987386_253196391357520_1300236_570266570_n.jpeg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	86317  Click image for larger version

Name:	315588_300339529976539_253196391357520_1300863_1238598939_n.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	86318  Click image for larger version

Name:	318448_300234046653754_253196391357520_1300276_476714890_n.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	86319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	307704_300231016654057_253196391357520_1300235_262311222_n.jpeg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	86320  Click image for larger version

Name:	308598_300332603310565_253196391357520_1300849_1578933460_n.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	86321  
  #7    Top
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

What sweet images. The lighting is great. Babies are so photogenic anyway that you could use any soft light and the parents will LOVE them. Great job!!!

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #8    Top
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

The lighting looks great! What kit did you get?
  #9    Top
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Babraham Lincoln

Thank you very much. I purchased from Cowboy Studio on Amazon. Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-D...9746232&sr=8-6
  #10    Top
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Babraham Lincoln

Just to add my set up details. I used only the two lights with softboxes standing side by side and a reflector to the left of the frame. I did not use the boom for this tiny subject as i didn't seem to need it. 6 lbs doesn't require a tremendous amount of light