Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
A little Off Camera Flash for me too

Yesterday while the corner was painfully slow I decided to get my equipment out and shoot some self portraits. I followed some instructions from Paul HERE ~> http://www.makingitasapro.blogspot.com/
And I liked how this one turned out. I stepped away from the cabinet in the bg and I think it worked so much better.

1. Here I am *a song just broke out in my head* hahaha

Self Portrait by Sharna65, on Flickr
Camera Canon EOS 7D Lens: 85mm
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250) Aperture f/2.5 Focal Length 85 mm ISO Speed 100 Exposure Bias 0 EV Flash Fired via Pocketwizards off camera left @ approx. 4 ft dialed down to 1/8 power through an omnibounce.

Comments and Critiques welcome and encouraged.

Sharna

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #2    Top
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: A little Off Camera Flash for me too

I like this shot, but I wish the bg was slightly different. My eye keeps being drawn to the orange thing in the cabinet, wondering what it is.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #3    Top
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thank you sabine! yea, it's a packers helmet in my husbands case. gotta find a blank wall somewhere or stop being lazy and put up the backdrop. hehehe

#4    Top
Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Very nice Sharna, lovely lady there.
Bill H.
  #5    Top
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:09 PM

I agree, that background is awfully distracting.

Did you think about raising the light a little bit more? It looks like your light is about even with your eyes. If you raised it up a little the top of your head would be lit a little better and it would also help separate you from the background a little more.

Or you could move the light closer (like 2 feet instead of 4 feet) up the power to 1/4, up the f-stop a couple stops, and then you would have a black background (more or less). Then you wouldn't need to put up a background.

Nikon D7k, Nikon D200

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thestudiomn
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/n8rzz
  #6    Top
Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Packers helmet aside, I think have a reflector on directing into the left side of yu head which is obscured by shadows.

If you have multiple flash units I have seen some interesting shots with flash coming from behind to emphasize highlights in hair
  #7    Top
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Thanks Everyone!

Nate, I never thought about that, Thank You.

Jer, yes...I have two lights and I will try that today since I have some time to myself. *I hope* Thanks!

#8    Top
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Sharna, what a nice warm smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8Rzz View Post
..............Or you could move the light closer (like 2 feet instead of 4 feet) up the power to 1/4, up the f-stop a couple stops, and then you would have a black background (more or less). Then you wouldn't need to put up a background.
My thought as well, ie moving closer and offsetting that by reducing the flash strength would mostly effect (Inverse Square Law) the amount of light spilling onto the background. Or you could "gobo" (shield) the flash from spilling onto the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
............... I think have a reflector on directing into the left side of yu head which is obscured by shadows.

If you have multiple flash units I have seen some interesting shots with flash coming from behind to emphasize highlights in hair
I also agree with Clark re the left side needing fill via flash or reflector and perhaps a hair light (ie above and behind).
  #9    Top
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Thanks Russ!!! Your input is always appreciated. I will work on the lighting and repost an image. Thanks!

#10    Top
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 2013_09_26_4135_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I can only say I like this. Nitpicking aside it's a nice shot and the Packers helmet is a family tradition. So there. Keep working Sharna. You'll be a master of this like some other things you do.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People